Again, how to remove duplicates in Repeating Group?

I keep researching this topic and I still can’t get a simple task accomplished.

Again, how can I simply remove duplicates from appearing in my search in my RG?
I have a super simple Data Type. It’s a listing of web addresses (URLs).
Each URL may potentially have many people that appear on that page. It might be one person. It might be 10 people that all appear on that same URL.

This data type has a unique row for each person’s identification number (masterModelID).

I may have 10 rows in this Data Type that have the exact same URL listed, but each of those rows has their own unique “masterModelID” representing a single person.

When I populate a super simple Repeating Group to display a listing of the URLs, I don’t want all of the duplicate URLs shown. If there are 10 duplicate URLs because there are 10 people on that page, I only want to see the one URL. I can then click on it and extrapolate all the people that appear on the URL in a different window.

When I use :unique element modifier. It doesn’t do anything (see below).
If I choose the data type to “text” and use it, it works BUT I can no longer click on the RG’s cell and get at the other data in the Data Type like I can with a Data Thing.

Here is my data type:

Here is the set up:

Any advice is appreciated.

If you set your RG type of content to URLs… you cannot really filter duplicate because they are not duplicate. Each item in URLs is unique. You need to consider that the filter will apply on the unique ID.

The only way to do that is when you set text like you said. You will need to manage your workflow or data source in RG differently to be able to use it. (Start with type text and add a Group inside the RG that will have a type URL that you will populate from the Current cell text info, for example)

But maybe there’s also an issue on how you have set you DB. You seem to create an url for each user… but instead you should update url with a list of user in it and avoid duplicated item in URLs DB

1 Like

Why do you need to have multiple entries for the same URL in the database? Wouldn’t it be easier (and avoid the duplication problem), just to have a single URL only appear once in the database, and then have a list of 'masterModelID’s instead of having a separate entry for each masterModelID, even when the URL is the same?

1 Like

That’s a good question and if I were designing this system from scratch I would do it that way. I’m constrained a bit because I’m emulating (mostly) and migrating a large existing mySQL database.

However I solved my issue. I’m using Text as the type of the RG. When I click on the row, I set a custom state with the data in that row. Then I can use that custom state to do a search of anything else as long as it matches the contents of that custom state. It works just fine.

1 Like

You could do a :group by on the URL if the URL has duplicates - as that removes duplicates, but it can beggar up a few other things I am finding around dynamic sorting on other fields.