Alternative to advanced filtering?

Hey there! I’m filtering a repeating group to show homes that matches the users home. To match, there are 5 different data fields that must overlap.

The Interested In list must contain the users location. The users location must contain the homes interested in list. The homes home space must contain the users home space. Since these are searching for singular items I’ve managed to search for them on the server side.

For the other two fields that must overlap, they are both lists. I need a home to have at least one overlapping item in the lists. For instance, the month’s available say January must be in the homes months available list. The problem I have is I’m worried its going to use a lot of workload to create this list and I have over 200 users using the app. Does anyone have any guidance on how to make it not affect the app’s speed or an alternative way of doing it? Many thanks in advance

1 Like

Not necessarily specific to your use case as there are things going on with it that I am unsure of, and whether or not they could be changed. But, generally, try to avoid the search within the Advanced Filter as that will definitely slow things down even more. Also, if possible avoid the Advanced Filter all together as the filter is happening on the client device rather than server side, so it relies on the speed of the device rather than the server which is always going to be slower.

I’ve done things in the past with having a field that is of type text, and is not a list, but is stored in the database as a list, which basically means I save to a single text field a value of something like (red, blue, green) and then I will use that single text field and split it by the comma to create a list. It is a bit complex. I found a discussion on the forum about it many months ago.

1 Like

I solved this by querying my advanced filters data through Algolia and then pushing the homes back into my Bubble page through a repeating group. This reduced the loading time for my pages from 13 to 1 second.

It does require a bit of expertise though. If you don’t know how to do it yourself I would highly recommend Jared who helped me do this:

1 Like

Thanks Isaac!! This was a great solution, while not the only one, and really improved the UX of the search.

1 Like