Any good tutorials yet?

I really want to get into Bubble but I don’t have time to dig around till I can make stuff work :P. Are there any good YT or Udemy tuts/courses yet?

I’ve gone through most of the exercises on the homepage but am still kind of lost.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am working on developing kinda-tutorials for Bubble “blocks” (so useful little bits of functionality that you could build together).

Once I get that sorted, and see what the reaction is, I am planning on moving onto Udemy (or something similar) to show how you can build up these blocks into a full app.

My thinking (which may be wrong) is that there is currently quite a big leap from “here is how this element works” to "here is how a clone of xxxx could work). And that we could plug the gap with these blocks which give you “here is how to get something to page back and forward” or “here is how to make a file uploader and progress indicator”.

But as with many people building stuff, I have a full time job, as well as other bubble projects to try to move forward :slight_smile: - progress is slow.

5 Likes

This sounds really useful!

Bubble has so much potential, but it’s intimidating for non-coders.

FYI, I would pay at least $20 for a detailed Udemy course.

->
My thinking (which may be wrong) is that there is currently quite a big leap from “here is how this element works” to "here is how a clone of xxxx could work). And that we could plug the gap with these blocks which give you “here is how to get something to page back and forward” or “here is how to make a file uploader and progress indicator”.

<-

Yeah, that sounds really great.

I am a complete non coder and all I can say is start building. This thing really comes together if you stick with it past the first few major hurdles. And the payoff is huge!!

4 Likes

Also, make good use of the debugger. That’s extremely useful to understand what your app does and why.

1 Like

The basic problem is not that it’s difficult, but rather confusing because Bubble folks haven’t set out the basic blocks that computer science-trained people need in order to think like you do. Try explaining this simple bit for example:

• create 2 fields and 1 button. Text entered into A is placed into field B ONLY when the mouse is clicked. You’re at that point successfully showing something that’s NOT built out of the external library calls (e.g., email, google maps, etc). Before we get into the sexy parts, we have to understand how to pass data and hold it somewhere. I have a Ph.D. in computer science and I can’t even understand how to hold, modify, or retrieve state, even using database storage.

The tutorials seem to make everything easy but they miss the main point which like the song says, “the fundamentals still apply.” Teach the fundamentals, and THEN show people all the external hooks. Using the first tutorials to teach how to make an interactive map is not showing the Bubble logic, you’re only showing how to make an interactive map that connects to Google’s API specifically and leaving everyone to more or less infer how this very quirky MVC architecture connects to other predicates.

1 Like

This. I didn’t mean to imply that Bubble isn’t great for non-coders. There’s huge potential here. But it’s very intimidating. I wish I did have the time to just sit down and play with it till I got it working.

Also this:

“You’re only showing how to make an interactive map that connects to Google’s API specifically and leaving everyone to more or less infer how this very quirky MVC architecture connects to other predicates.”

The tutorials are very specific and don’t really teach someone how to use your product.

1 Like

LOL it’s not my product. I’m a working slug like you trying to figure all this out.

My comments were constructive critique to the Bubble folks.

Ok here is what I would suggest. At some point Bubble can build a giant application that we can all look at. Then they can have a series called “How we built this part of the app.” This might be a very instructive way of building new skills.

2 Likes

Yes, I think that is a good approach. So like … if you stitch these bits together you get this page. If you put these pages together you get this app.

fjrciardo,

I was just quoting you. Wasn’t replying to you directly.

Ultimately, it’s in their best interest to make the product as accessable and easy to use as possible. I guess that’s why I’m surprised that there are no Youtube tutorials or Udemy courses yet.

If I were them, i would put someone on a dedicated YT channel right away. It’s the #2 search engine in the world.

1 Like

We’re going to move to youtube at some point I think, but in the meantime, we have quite a few videos at https://bubble.io/documentation and https://vimeo.com/bubblegroup

2 Likes

Interesting to see OLD Bubble versus NEW :slight_smile:
Some topics not up to date, and I understand how Time Consuming it is. But Thanks, I learn some stuff tonight.

What a great privilege to see our product generate such deep passion in people!

At any point in time, our minds spark a million wishes but not all of them blossom at the same time. We look at Bubble as a garden. We tend it every day, slowly trimming weeds, and inviting bees to make their honey. We want to, and will, build all the features and tutorials so rightfully needed.

That’s why we have the forum: lots of use cases and questions we never thought of came from you, and as you created and shared your solutions, this rich collection of best practices and the most creative ways to do things emerged. And these cases will always be too many for us to possibly imagine all. The cover will always seem incomplete, because there’s always that ray of sun that somehow makes it through no matter how rich the foliage.

6 Likes

:sunglasses:

Video is time consuming for both producer and consumer. Another solution is a stack overflow type q & a format, where specific problems are asked and the best get voted up.
Where viewers can see logic written out in code snippets. Consumers of the content would use it just like developers use SO, on the fly and to get solutions quickly.

This stack over flow clone could be built on bubble.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea, but…a concise video series that shows what can be done with the site is a great way to get new customers. If adoption is the priority, video is definitely the way to go.

The main problem with video is that you can’t watch it AND figure out your work flows at the same time. Even the walk throughs, while very helpful, need a few times to really grasp what’s going on “under the hood”.

I definitely think some more advanced walk throughs, and two or three complete apps with clear guidance would be better than video.

And examples in the full documentation of HOW you might use commands would be great too.

This would be a perfect candidate.:

I’m sorry but I really don’t see the issue here at all. I’m a non coder and all I needed was the bubble tutorials to get the basic concepts down. From there it’s up to your own creativity to take these concepts and expand the functionality of your app.
I’m very surprised this thread even exists.

2 Likes

It took me a very long time to grasp how to make data DO anything. And every time I grasped one idea, I got completely stuck on the next. So I’m all for a more structured approach to figuring Bubble out.

1 Like