Better Uploader [UPDATED 2023] ☁️

Sure.
The problem is that the uploader uses base64 encoding to (either) check the file size or parse it (I don’t remember exactly).
I managed to change it not to use it, and then it worked.

The bad news is that I also changed more things, such as to extract audio from videos before uploading (my app transcribes audio).

So, if you want a fixed version that doesn’t have my other changes, you need to create a new plugin, copy everything from the original plugin, except the update and the send_file(s)_to_cloud functions, which you can analyze the changes I made and pick only the ones that suit you.

My code for them is here: Bubble_better_uploader_fix_mod/script.js at main · lucasformolo1/Bubble_better_uploader_fix_mod · GitHub

I hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi. It’s great we can now compress images before upload. I am still needing videos to be compressed. Is that on the roadmap by chance?

Thanks,
George

In my next update, I’ll implement a fix for this issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Video compression is possible! I’ll do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

NEW MAJOR UPDATE: VERSION 6.0.0

This update addresses many requests to improve the performance of large file staging. The advantage of this plugin is that it lets you access files as data URI’s (base 64 encoded files) before uploading them to the server. This is great and all, but for very large files (talking multiple GB files) this requires a lot of processing. This update will significantly reduce any lag or page hanging during these processes by introducing web workers.

In other words, this enables multi threaded processing - each file gets its own CPU thread, while leaving the main thread alone!

Finally, Raw Progress is now called Raw Batch Progress. There was an issue where it always jumped from 0 to 100. It was not updating properly, now it’s fixed!

What’s Next & Final Thoughts:

Keep in mind that while this update increases performance and reduces lag, base 64 encoding can still crash your browser tab if the file is really big (talking over 1 or 2 GB). The next update will introduce a “Large file mode” which will skip the base 64 encoding and replace it with File Blobs which can also be used to preview files without the performance penalty. However, you’ll still need to use base64 encoding if you want to send files to API services without sending them over to bubble first (you can’t send file blobs via API)

All the best,

Jonah

3 Likes

Better Uploader version 7 is out! Tomorrow, I will write a new Better Uploader [UPDATED 2024] post for you all. Lots of new features and fixes, so keep an eye out!

1 Like

This post is now archived, see the new post: Better Uploader [UPDATED 2024] ☁