Bubble-element in Inspect Element

Alright so,

Bubble still keeps traces of it in many ways in your app, even if you upgrade to Professional, Personal, Team whatever it is. There will still be traces.
For instance, cloudfront.net which is found throughout the page source redirects to bubble.is
and all elements have “Bubble-element” in them.

Why is this? Why don’t you create a white labeled experience? Bubble already gets credit for the banners that are left on apps without a plan.

What you’re seeing are generated class names for bubble elements. I wouldn’t assume this is for marketing or advertising, I’m assuming it’s for organization and code maintainability on their end.

Just curious, what are your concerns about people knowing it was built on Bubble instead of something like Rails or Express?

From a technical point of view, you may be correct but some people don’t want their app to be obvious that it was made with Bubble, and yes I’m trying to hide it even though there are things that are out of my control such as:

1. The “We just updated this page” banner, I don’t like it and I would prefer it just to be hidden.
  2. CloudFront.net redirects to bubble.is which leads me to suspect that its for marketing purposes
  3. Words like Bubble can be found throughout Inspect Element
    … I’m sure there are more but those are the main things I could think of right now.

Yeah, I get your points there, I’m just curious as to why it matters if it was built on Bubble or not. Some people don’t care, others do, that’s totally fine, I’m just wondering what your specific concerns are. Do you think people won’t take it seriously, are you worried about investors, is it something else? Just trying to get educated on how people are thinking about Bubble, that’s all!

I can think of 2 reasons:

1. Because its a competitive advantage. While it is easy to build quickly using bubble, that makes it also easy to get cloned.
  2. There’s a potential security risk. If there was a loophole in bubble, it could potentially be exploited across site which have been identified as built using bubble.
2 Likes

Its a private app, meaning you only get access by an admin (“invite only”)
My concerns are people knowing that it was built without code and they may not take it seriously.

even if you are in the dedicated plan, you can see cloudfront.net
I think you need to build apps using another stack, like mean stack.
it should bubble provide white label service without mention bubble
this is good for us, for the benefit of investors.

I can see this being an issue if your app isn’t valuable to people. Even in engineering circles, people will turn their nose up to other technologies. “You’re using PHP? Gross, no way that’ll scale (counter: look at Facebook).” “Ew, you’re using Node.js, nobody builds serious apps on that (counter: Walmart.com).”

People are ALWAYS going to be snobbish on tech stack, I’ve never worked on a product that didn’t get some sort of comment from somebody.

The single biggest risk I have encountered with using Bubble is the lack of ability to export the code. I can get my data, sure, but I’m totally vendor-locked in. This is a huge issue for clients, especially in the enterprise space. If that’s an issue you encounter, hiding the fact that it was built on Bubble doesn’t help the problem, it’s just hiding the big scary issue. I’ve lost a good deal of business because of this specific issue, and it’s a bummer for sure.

The investors I’ve talked to actually like that Bubble is powering my client apps, because it’s enabling them to find product-market fit in a fraction of the time, it’s shortening the time from idea to first dollar, and we can make iterative updates in hours, not weeks. There has certainly been concern about the vendor lock-in from investors, also, but they care more that the data can be exported and the app can be rebuilt, which is true.

Anyway, all this to say that I definitely understand the concerns with building an app on Bubble, but in my specific use-cases, hiding the fact that it was built on Bubble doesn’t solve any of my issues. I’m always interested in hearing if other people are running into issues with perception or fundraising or selling, so thanks for chatting in this thread with your experiences!

3 Likes

Okay, this honestly has to stop, I’m going to go on a bit of a rant here.
I’m not sure if this is intentional or not but I don’t appreciate how Bubble is “secretly” promoting itself on its platform, even if you upgrade or not.
I just found out that if you restrict your app with a username and password, it will still show Bubble app
I would appreciate it if Bubble stops restricting us to many things and allows us to create a “100% white-labeled” experience.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Bubble and I most properly will be using it, I just don’t agree with its practices in “secretly” promoting itself.

Where are you seeing “Bubble App” in this instance? Does it show up in the popup itself? Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing?

Never seen that one before. That’s a bummer! I wonder if that text is changeable somewhere?

Nope, can’t find it anywhere.

You might try sending a ticket to support@bubble.is and see if there’s anything they can do about that. If I’m paying for something to white label, and a user encounters something non-white-labeled in the course of their normal interactions, I wouldn’t be pleased.

1 Like

Here’s their reply. Still would’ve made my day if “bubble” was removed in Inspect Element.

Bubble’s response to the word “bubble” being in Inspect Element (line 3 in previous screenshot) didn’t really make sense. I’m looking for a white labeled experience. What throws me off is when I asked for a more precise explanation and for them to consider removing it…

1 Like