Canonical tags - SEO

Hey, my app has many languages so for example when user chooses English it makes changes to url ‘lang = en_us’ etc. And I want to index some pages of my website but I want to avoid indexing each language variation of a page. So managed to get to know that I should get interested with ‘canonical tags’ and since I’m pretty new to all of that here’s the question; Do I set these canonical tags within Bubble or my Search Console? And where could I learn more about the whole set up of that? Thanks.

I haven’t done this for my app myself yet (It is in my todo list to do that though).

However, I think you should need to add canonical urls in your Bubble code only. Not in search console. Your pages need to tell that they are canonical to some URL.

Each page has a place to add stuff in header. You can add it there.

Okay thank you! Btw from more technical point of view; what does it mean to add something to the header?

You specify a few things in header, like styles, javascript etc. Head of the page is loaded first and is executed (interpreted) first as well, so you put things in it that you want to be interpreted first and also things which are meta things about the page. What we see in browser as user is the body of the page. Header has internal stuff.

Understood, thank you very much!

Hi, I just received a code that I should paste in the header and I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a hint on how to use it.

I have 2 questions:
1 - what link should be in this code?
2 - what actually would this setup do? How would that impact SEO etc?

Thank you!

You should put that code in the header in the page that you want to add that canonical url in.

If page 1 is the main page and page 2 and page 3 should be canonical to page 1, then you should add code in headers of page 2 and page 3.

That code will tell google that page 2 and page 3 are canonical to page 1 and hence are kind of duplicates. That way google will not spend energy in crawling those pages and will not apply any penalty to you for having duplicate pages in the website.