Conditionally show an element in a RG without refresh

Hi Bubblers,

I’m trying to show a ‘label’ (formatted static text element) when the time is within a set range of the cell’s ‘thing’s’ start time.

I’ve got the conditions working, and the label shows, but it requires the page to be reloaded.

I can’t do a when condition is true workflow to animate/show the element because the element sits within a cell/RG.

Has anyone overcome this or has any suggestions? Ideally natively/without additional plugins, but all advise welcome.

Thanks legends

Hi @ben.j :wave:

When you say “the time” you mean “Current Date/Time”?

Hi @rpetribu, thanks for the reply!

Yes, sorry, when Current Date / Time is within 15 minutes of the Thing’s Start Time / Date.

Condition below:

Interesting to note that when the condition is true, but I then modify the data in the table to make it false (by changing the start time +x minutes), the elements hide without requiring a refresh.

Possibly because they’re set initially to be hidden, unless the value is true… but then surely there is a way to make it show without a refresh?

@ben.j,

You are likely running into the fact that references to current date/time in conditionals like this freeze at the point of page load.

There are some plugins that address the issue but the easiest way to manage this is simply add a state of type ‘date’ to your element/page, wherever makes sense for you, and use the event run every x seconds to update that state with the current date/time.

Then have your conditional above reference this state rather than current date/time.

I guess the main problem is, it doesn’t track Current date/time in real time. I just printed it to a text box and it doesn’t get updated. So, it won’t update your conditionals as well for the same reason.

image

And this is stuck in the screen for minutes.
image

This is extremely helpful to know! I can’t believe I missed that / didn’t know it was a set value upon page load.

Thank you for the workaround, I’ll definitely implement that and give it a go.

Cheers!

That’ll be why!! I had no idea that’s how Current date/time worked, so thank you for the help!