Connecting to Google Data Studio or other BI tools

Hey folks,

Has anyone successfully connected to their Bubble DB to a BI platform like Data Studio?

I’ve seen some workarounds, like going through Google Spreadsheets (which I would assume takes some of the heavy lifting away from the Bubble DB).

Anyone willing to share their experience/pros/cons?

2 Likes

Hi Petter, I wonder if you have successfully done this? I am trying to do the same thing and I came across this. Google Data Studio, Bubble Integrations | Integromat.

Hello, someone manage to make thia work? Bubble <> Data Studio

I think you just to code that pulls from the bubble db periodically into SQL / another cloud DB, and that can connect to datastudio.

1 Like

Yeah that would be the first move, but you’d hope there’s something more efficient perhaps.

All the time I save using Bubble I am losing trying to figure out how to do data visualization in Bubble :frowning: Looking for a shortcut here.

Never saw the original post here, but Bubble was super-psyched about some integration with some data lake thing a long while back. Look that up in announcements forum maybe?

This was of zero interest to me, but perhaps someone into that will reply or remembers what the (possibly now defunct) integration was…

Are you trying to do dataviz in bubble? The original post I think was to do dataviz outside of bubble, of data that was in bubble.

Yes I do, and outside too. Using Google Data Studio could allow quick visualization build, wihch you can then embed back into Bubble if that’s where you want to have it. At least that’s the plan i had in mind.

Well, GDS (Looker) does provide embed html code, but its janky.

Bubble → GDS
If there was a good automated sync/replication from bubble to a sql database, that would be great. Anyone know of any? Coding one up wouldnt be too hard though.

Dataviz in Bubble
I haven’t seen a great answer beyond just using the various chart plugins available. I am using one and just fetching data via the bubble SQL connector, but that is limited to 200 rows so I have to query multiple times and combine them client side. So, not great.

https://cube.dev/ is something I have been meaning to look at as a middle layer that can provide API endpoints for pretty much whatever you want to model/display, but I haven’t really pursued that yet.

@drfalken I explained the technique the other day here: Way to query my bubble database with SQL? - #18 by bubble.trouble

I am willing to commit further time and complete the explanation if there is continued interest in SQL Server replication. It just seems that it might be beyond the scope of need for many (current) Bubble projects.

Thanks - but if the schema is fairly static, I dont see why it would be a big deal to get from Bubble’s data API endpoint, using constraints so that you only fetch field that are updated within the current runtime interval. It can all live outside of bubble.

You can certainly use the data API endpoint but how do you keep track of what fields/data changed to know what to fetch? I wasn’t aware the API provided such constraints. I realize you could use the last updated column for inserts/updates but about a record that has been deleted?

Yeah if thats an issue then maybe use ‘soft delete’ via a flag on the record. If a record gets updated than I would delete from the external db and re-fetch. If the changes are not regular in nature, bubble could just do the sql insert / deletes in a workflow too.

Definitely not as elegant as proper replication, but would suffice for simpler setups.

1 Like

Here we did some import from Bubble to BigQuery using Bubble’s APIs. Then, you can do views on Bigquery and produce reports on GDS and (haven’t tried yet) embed GDS in Bubble. However, if there was data end point so as to directly tap data from Bubble to GDS without doing the data warehouse in BigQuery it would be preferable.