Copy List of things: overcome the 50 limit

Hello,

in my Project Management App implementation, I created a list of things called “Baselines”. Each of these things are related to a specific month, a specific work package and a specific Members of a specific project. Tha means that in a project of 10 Work Packages, that lasts 10 months and has 10 team members for each WP (a little exaggerated but not impossible), I will have a 1000 of baseline things.

The issue is when I want to create a new baseline of a project. The only way I found is “copy a list of things” by selecting all the baseline of the project. Then all the copied one will inherit their parent’s WP and so on.
But I need to overcome the 50 limit. Can it be done on a one time basis or there are other ways?

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Hey sergio, I didn’t exactly get why you need to copy all 1000 baselines when creating 1 new baseline for a project.
Maybe you could rethink the way data is stored to avoid copying 1000 database items ?

Hi Florent,

the fact is, I want to be able to keep track of the old baselines. The first list of baseline has the Version=1. When I copy the new list I assign Version=2 and so on.
Keep track of old baseline was I requirement I got from my managers.

Couldn’t you just keep track of the changes at the baseline level ?

For instance, each baseline can have a list of its different versions (for instance a list of text if your baseline is only some text), with a version number associated to each of these versions (a number field).
This would require to have a version number for the project thing as well.
If you make a change to a baseline, you increase the project version number by one.
Then modify only the changed baseline by adding to its version list the new state, with a version number equal to the new version number of the project.

When you want to see the project for a specific version, you look at all the baselines, and for each baseline you display the last recorded change that has a version number inferior or equal to that specific version.

That way, you only store changes, which is more memory efficient, and also you only modify things that have been actually modified, which is also more efficient!
I believe that this is more or less how versioning systems like SVN work.

Thanks Florent,

The data structure i indeed already like this, I have things called “Cost Month” they shave a field “projected value” , “Actual Value” and a list of “Baseline”. The Baseline thing has a Cost and a version number.
But I don;t think is gonna work in the way you suggest.

My workflow is:

• I create a new project budget: I can edit only Baseline values of version=1.
  • Once the baseline is approved, all baseline values are copied into the Projected value (each into the parent Cost Month)
  • from this moment Baseline values cannot be touched and projected can be edited (the performance of the project will be measured by comparing the baseline vs projected vs actuals)
    -(here the issue) when I want to create a new baseline, my algorithm needs to copy the current projected values into the new baseline.

Therefore I implement it by “Copy the list of all baseline of the project”. By doing that I have a list of new baselines with already linked their parent “Cost MOnth”, then in the same workflow I “modify a list of thing” and refer to the list of the previous step, and then I change the cost of the baseline as cost=parent’s Cost Month’s projected Cost.

I tried to simplify as much as I could, I am sorry if is confusing… :slight_smile:

Could you post some screenshots of your “data” pannel in Bubble for each involved thing so that I can better understand the link between baseline, projected values, etc. ?

If I get it right:

• you want to create projects, and be able to compare the first baseline cost, the projected costs, and the actual cost.
  • each project is divided into monthes.
  • each month is divided into things (tasks ?) that have each an estimated baseline cost.
  • once the baseline costs are approved (and cannot be modified anymore), you want to be able to specify/modify the projected costs
  • then (at the project end?) you want to specify the actual cost of each baseline

I am not sure you need to copy things.
For instance, couldn’t you, instead of having a list of Baseline, have a list of Things, each having a baseline cost, a projected cost and an actual cost ?
If you want to track changes, the baseline, projected and actual could be lists of for instance “Budget” thing with a cost and version number ?

Hi Florent,

sorry for late response, I have been sick lately.
So, reading your last post I understood that I could have create a new thing that I called “baseline root”. This Baseline Root has a field that indicate the version and a field that is a list of Baseline.
Then, when I want to create a new baseline, I tried to copy the Baseline Root and give it a Version+1, but I was hoping it would have copy also the lists of Baselines, of course I was wrong.
So I am back to square one.
Another way would have been to have a function “add a new empty element” to a list. In that case it would have been perfect for me. Because I can modify the list of “Cost Month” and tell to add a new element to each “Cost of Month” result of my search, but also such function doesn’t seem to exist.

So here my data structure:
Labor Time cost is what I called so far “Cost of Month”

while the Baseline LC is the element I want to duplicate:

The data will look in the table like this:

Where each blue block is a Labor Time Cost Thing (when I click on, it generates one, together with its current baseline).
When the Baseline is approved, the projected values(blue digits) are copied from the baseline (green digits) that now are frozen. And I can edit only the projected ones.

When I changed for a while my projected, and I want to re-baseline, I need to create a new set of Baseline LC values (that will inherit the relationship with the project, Work Package and especially the Parent’s Labor Time Cost). The value of these Baseline LC shall be the parent’s Labor Time Cost Projected value at the moment of the re-baseline.

And so on…

I don’t see other way than copy a list of Baseline LC so far, but I need at least 500 to be safe in the future (maybe @emmanuel can make on demand exceptions… :innocent: )

Hope is more clear. And thanks again for your time!

That’s the kind of things we can talk about for users on a dedicated plan.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.