Couple questions regarding workflows structure

Hi guys,

so I can’t find any forum posts about this. If you know where I should look please let me know!

1. Which one of the following structure is faster/ better optimized for capacity and performance?

many events with only when criteria:

Do event only when A = 1 → and then do action X
Do event only when B = 1 → and then do action Y

OR

Do event → do action X only when A = 1 OR do the action Y only when B = 1.

The points is this: should I have many separate events when it comes to changing things in the database or one event with many actions?

I have couple of workflows where the number of actions is more than 20 BUT all of them have ONLY WHEN criteria so in the end maybe 2 of them will be executed.

1. My database is structured in a way that add things to the List of Things to User.

So whenever I create a new thing, I also have an action like this:

My question is should I add ONLY WHEN criteria to MAKE CHANGES type action when building workflows like this? OR Bubble will not run this action when new thing wasn’t created? (meaning: does this action weakens performance of the app if I don’t have ONLY WHEN criteria on MAKE CHANGES to User ? )

1. If I have an action that is about to MAKE CHANGES to the thing and let’s say there is a field:

name = Input Name

and the Input name field has also initial content as Parent’s Thing Name and there were no changes made to the input Name will the Bubble execute the workflow or not?

(Last one I promise)

1. Current User List of Things:filtered VS Do a search for in WORKFLOWS

So on the front end I use List of Things but should I do the same when it comes to workflows or List of Things is still better in the back end. There were couple of posts about this but I just want to know your opinion.

On my end user will have about 100-200 items so when I create new thing and use the Current User List of Things;filtered the progress bar is showing sometimes which is not the best UX.

Thank you!

I would test it out and see what works best for you…not very difficult or time consuming to create the different workflows and just disable them to check which works better.

From my experience I often had issues with events working properly on conditionals when the conditional was on the workflow action and would need to change it so the conditional was on the workflow event instead.

Thanks for the answer!

I did test it out and for now the tests were inconclusive. In my opinion it took the same amount of time but when many users come… it would be great to know which way is the best

That’s good to know. I will look out for that.

Personally I stuff most of my actions into single workflows where I can. Like your example for new thing Vs making a change, the process to do that (normally a button click) is in the same workflow, using conditionals as you have above.

Regarding question 3, you could simply check this is the case by running that scenario. In any case, I like to be very specific about when I actually want something to run, and add conditions anyway.

Unsure of the performance aspect but it’s easier for organisation in my opinion.