Displaying records containing multidropdown selected options

When the value of my multidropdown list changes I want to do a search displaying records containing ANY item in the multidropdown list’s value.

I can only see how to display records containing a specific :item #.

New to bubble so any tips appreciated!

Hi there, @jamesleese5… I’m sure there is more than one way to do what you are trying to do, but I have done it with an advanced filter combined with the intersect with option like this…

Want to give that a try and see if you get the desired result?

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Thanks for the help @mikeloc. That is now working well!

1 Like

Hey @mikeloc! I’ve read literally every single thread I can find related to filtering multidropdowns and am hoping you can help? I’m relatively new to Bubble and have been banging my head against the wall for 2 days on this one. So I’ve got two filtering Criteria: Brand Types and Collab Types. Both are lists (can be multiple items).

Example: Bacardi’s Brand Type: Alcohol
Collab Type: Paid, Free Product (List of 2 items)

Pantene’s Brand Type: Hair, Personal care (List of 2 items)
Collab Type: Free Product

I can get each individual dropdown filtering properly using your approach:

But when I want the filters to work together, I thought this approach would work:

But no dice. Here’s what my app looks like:

When I clicked “Paid”, I would expect the only result to be Bacardi now since it’s the only Brand that has Paid as a Collab Type.

Hopefully this makes sense and thanks so much in advance for any guidance you can provide =)

Justin

Hi there, @jnm528… I did a quick test using a similar example, and I think you just need to combine those two filters. So, at the end of the first advanced filter, select the and option, and then build out the same query you have in your second advanced filter (and then make sure to delete the second advanced filter, of course).

Want to give that a shot and see if it works for you?

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Hmm that was a great idea @mikeloc !! But…unfortunately that seems to turn off filtering altogether. This is what you were talking about right?

Yup, that’s what I was talking about, @jnm528. I just recreated your example, and it’s working like a charm for me…

brands1

… and both of these configurations produce the desired results…

It looks like you are using a custom state in your example, and I am just filtering a repeating group, so maybe that has something to do with why it’s not working for you (custom states are not my strong suit). But it’s definitely working for me, so without knowing exactly how you have things configured. I’m not sure what’s going on.

Best…
Mike

I’m so, so appreciative of your help @mikeloc! As you suggested I scrapped the Custom state config and implemented in the RG Appearance and it works, woohoo! A slight wrinkle though, which is that it’s not working quite the way I expect when either multi-dropdown is empty.

For example, the behavior I want if the Collab type dropdown is empty, I will show all results that include the Brand type filter. So the user entering “Alcohol and Hair” would see Pantene and Bacardi. Similarly, if they entered “Paid” in the Collab type and “Brand Type” is empty, they’d only see Bacardi.

I’m essentially merging 3 different filtered searches together and trying to display unique elements.

What am I missing here?

Thank you so much!!!

Hey there, @jnm528… after a lot of messing around with this one, this filter appears to produce the desired results…

Want to give it a shot?

Best…
Mike

3 Likes

Holy cow, @mikeloc! I don’t think you quite know how much I appreciate your help on this one – I was going CRAZY! That did the trick. As a small token of my gratitude, I just made a donation to the American Diabetes Association – I saw the site in your profile and figured there may be a personal connection.

Thank you so much again!
Justin

3 Likes

Now it’s my turn… holy cow, @jnm528!

It was my pleasure to help, and I can’t thank you enough for showing your appreciation the way you did. You rock, man.

Thanks again!

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Absolutely, @mikeloc, you’re welcome – thank you so much again!

There is a lot of great partnership and support that gets done through this forum. But this thread absolutely represents the best of it. Great stuff y’all!!!

3 Likes

Hey @mikeloc, I’m trying to reproduce the same filter you explained to @jnm528 but struggling to make it work.
This is my setup:

I’d like to filter Users according to some ‘tag’ associate with them (almost the same thing as @jnm528 did but in a simpler way – just one multi-dropdown element)

Can you give me a hint about what’s wrong with my configuration?
Thank you!
Luiz

Hi there, @luiz.bittencourt… if I understand your question correctly, I believe you only need the part after the “or” in your advanced filter. Want to give that a shot and see if it produces the desired result?

Best…
Mike

1 Like

THANKS, @mikeloc !!!
Worked like a charm!
In fact, the first filter worked too. The reason was a silly problem with the visualization element only!.. Beginner’s mistake! :man_facepalming:
But now, it’s working!
Tks again!
Luiz

1 Like

Hi @mikeloc ,

I am trying to execute something similar to the advanced filter expression you have helped everyone with above, however, without a dropdown input… I have been trying for hours and cannot figure it out! I am hoping you could possibly help me out.

I have “orders” which contains a list of dates and a selection of products, these orders also have their parent profiles linked to them with an entry labelled “business”. I want to intersect my current pages order dates and products with the rest of the databases orders, and pull a result of a list of orders who’s dates and products intersect inside of “Verify 1” RG. I cant get the first filter to work let alone the second!

This expression ends up just giving me a full list of all the Businesses Orders… I’m not sure what I am doing wrong :frowning: