What led to my discovering the bug is that I decided to actually provide useful feedback during plugin configuration instead of simply a static image. So yes, I have found it useful in this case.
That said, I agree that, without the instance object, it is far less useful than it could be. For one thing, I was forced to replicate some code, and that would’ve been unnecessary if I could have referenced some constants and other data that were set up in the initialize function.
In the end, I was able to achieve the desired result, but it wasn’t as simple as it should’ve been.
The worst part, though, was that, given the nature of the issue, I suspected a logic or syntax error in my code. I’d remove some code, and things would work. I’d “fix” it and add the code back, and it still wouldn’t work. Then I’d remove some other code, and it would work again. That process confused and frustrated the heck out of me for the better part of a day! Then I removed some comments, and things worked. That tipped me off that the issue was likely related to the size of the function body. I was really quite annoyed that I had squandered so much time on it!
My landlord is not going to be pleased with the holes in the drywall made by my head!