Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Feature Idea: Track & Display App Changes over time

It’d be really useful is Bubble tracked the changes of our application over time and provided a UI to view / understand what pages, elements, and database changes were made at different periods of time.

For example, I just figured out that on our testing server we created a bug this last Wednesday between 4:30 and 5:30pm (because that’s when values stopped showing up correctly in our database). However, I don’t recall what specific changes we made during that time since we’ve made hundreds of small changes this last week.

For now, we may try to manually document what we’re working on at specific times, but seems like this is something Bubble could automate which would help out teams with production grade apps with lots of moving pieces, etc.

Note - an alternative solution would be to give me the ability to select a time period and have the app show me what’s different about that version vs. the current version of the app.

Perhaps there are even smarter ways to address the same challenge. Seems like it’d be fairly useful for us.

1 Like

If you were seeking a solution, ideally would you want to see a log where you could do a search for changes made between X and Y times? I think the impulse makes sense, but I find much more value out of regularly using the Issue Tracker and locating the issue in the Workflow Debugger.

As you mentioned, this is on the testing, not production. Given that, have you worked through the Issue Tracker to see if the bug exists there?

I would say the vast majority of data issues can be spotted there. Outside of that, it’s usually simple quasi-mistakes (ex. 1) referenced the incorrect thing as a data source (ie. current page user versus parent group user) or 2) deleted a database field and didn’t update the create/make changes to a thing value.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. We got it figured out this afternoon.

Was a bug that wasn’t captured in the issue tracker since it was a business logic problem, not a bug. Took us more than a couple hours to track down since it was several steps removed on less commonly used path.

In general, the issue tracker is incredibly helpful. Seems like it’d nice to have a way to know what’s changed in the app over time, though, for all the instances where the issue tracker doesn’t solve the problem.

Cheers,
Scott