Finding Similarities Between Users

Hello everyone!
My users can save their favorite movies to the User data type with the field “Top Movies” which is a list. I want a button to be able to search for all users with one or more of the same favorite movies as them, and then navigate to one of those users randomly. I want the search for users to return all users who have at least one exact match in the current users Top Movies, which again, is type list. The setup I have below only works when one of the lists only has one entry so i need something beefier. I have not worked with intersect or filtering much, maybe one of those will help with this feature. Any ideas appreciated.

Also, the movie titles are pulled and saved via API, so different spelling isn’t an issue, every movie is spelled the same way. Thanks!

you have random item there, so its only going to return you one user. there may be a plugin that will return a list of random users, maybe like “list shifter” might do it.

ok thanks ill check! So there’s not a way to return all users who match at least one entry in each other’s lists?

try “intersect” count >0

i believe ists something like

do a search for users, whos list of movies intersects with current users movies >0: count (or not count if you want a list of users

You’re going to want to use “:ranked by” operator

Search for Users:ranked by

Where would i put the intersect function? it just gives me contains

Buildfactor (bubbleapps.io)

use the dropdown to select the user, and it will show you users that contain at least one text item that is the same

1 Like

How would you set it up?

Will that work with the “data to send” part? Because i am trying to send a users data to a page. Its not a repeating group

your going to send movei data to a page?

no the buttons worlflow is navigate to a page, and the data to send will have to be a certain users data, the user that contains at least one of your own Top Movies

I believe all you’d just use Search for Users:ranked by numberical similarity to Current User

This should match all like users together.

yeah now that a read your question again i think i understand. so the repeating group is just to show you what data you returned from the expression. then you would run a workflow to send a random users data to a page (or group).

if dougs idea works go for it to, i havent used ranked

1 Like

Ok and what would i put here? it cant just be that on its own.

Expanded:

is your index page set to user data type?

2 Likes

An oversight on my part, I thought you were wanting to display Users together who’s fields matched with a RG. I’m not sure about sending data to a page.

Edit. index data type should be User ksp be right

1 Like

It is, yea

at the end of that exression you need to put random item, right now its a list, you need to make it one thing

1 Like

Buildfactor (bubbleapps.io)

this is what the numaricall similarity returns in the repeating group, im not so sure thats the answer i dont see how to specifiy what you are ranking the data types by.

only numarical difference and numaricall similarity, not comparing lists

its good practice to test your results with a visual representation of the return, so you know what data you are getting at the end point