How to delete a database record that shows in a RG

Hi!

On the “dashboard” page of my app, there is a RG that got populated with dynamic data from a User’s field called “Values”. The values were added from another page which allowed the used to select the personal values which appealed to them from a list. A workflow added each selected items to the database in the “Values” field under the “User” data type. In order to see their selection, the user navigates to the Dashboard page.

What I want to do is to give the user the option to delete any single item in the RG by simply clicking on its corresponding trash icon.

I had assumed that would be simple enough, but with my current level of Bubble expertise, it turns out that it’s not so simple. I spent over 2 hours watching YouTube videos on RG but didn’t get the answer I was looking for.

When I set up the RG, I selected the Type of content to “text”, and the Data source to: "Search for User’s Values, with the following constraint: Type: User; Sort by "Created Date; and Descending to: “yes”. For the text field within the RG, I selected the dynamic data to be: “Current cell’s text.”

If someone would be willing to point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate the help. I look at the forum every day to see whether I could help someone else so I can pay it forward. As I get more expert at Bubble, there will come a time when I can actually help others too.

Thank you in advance.

Hello!

You need to familiarize yourself with how lists work. If a users values is a list, then you will not be deleting a value entry but rather removing it from the users values list.

Here a short video that illustrates this concept well which should enable you to sort out your issue

Hope this helps! :grinning:

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I spent all day on this so far (it’s after 3:00 pm in my time zone) and I concluded that this is not going to work for what I have in mind.

I’ve realized this is actually what I’m trying to do:

1. I don’t want to interact with the RG at this point.
  2. I have placed a button below the RG with the purpose of deleting all the entries directly from the database that have been made so far by the user in the Field “Values” under the data type: “User”.
  3. This will achieve my goal of removing all the entries for the entire list of text in the “Values” field and will consequentially also clear the text fields in the repeating group. The user can simply navigate back to the page which allows the selection to be made. This is actually how I choose to set this up, as strange as it may sound.

So my question is actually: “How do I create a workflow that when the button “Clear selections” is clicked, the entire list of entries that were previously made by the user in a database field get deleted regardless of any RG in which these entries have been collected for display?”

I’ve just spent hours playing around with so many combinations of parameters related to
Data → Delete thing
Data → Delete a list of things
Data → Make a change to thing
Data → Make a change to a list of things

But as straightforward as I’m imagining this simple task ought to be, I’m clearly in way above my head as nothing whatsoever is working.

Once again, let me reiterate that any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful afternoon.

How are you achieving the selections?

There is no RG. All the attributes are a single group with a text box inside with two workflows per attribute and a custom state inside of each individual group related to the attribute. The data is entered in the database directly when the user makes the selection and the text turns blue. This is achieved by having the value of the custom state be the same as the text inside the text box of each attribute and then captured as text into the database.

Signed up but the dashboard button did not take me anywhere after a few selections

I get the UX you are after. I am not sure the logic that you describe may turn out the function you are after.

It is intricate to suggest what to do without looking at your dB structure, UI and flows being used.

However, looking at the UX that you are after it is not something difficult to do at all.

I suggest you explore the concept of lists (adding or removing entries to them) using the following dB structure:

Value
title (text)

User
Values (list of values)

This other video may reinforce the prior suggested one:

Best of luck with your project! :+1:t2:

Hi again,

The last live update of the site was before the dashboard was built, that is why it could not take you anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, you sure take the time to help many people judging from the fact that many forums replies I see are from you!

I had to go out late afternoon and I’m just getting back into it now. I’ll dig in into your recommendations here, but to be honest, I’m not holding my breathe. I get the feeling that I’ll require a bit more hand holding on this one. I’ll figure a way, thanks!

1 Like

I tried the solutions offered above, which I’m quite certain would have worked should I have been more proficient with Bubble, but nothing did work for what I was trying to do.

In the end, I came up with a solution. I copied the selection elements from the page where they reside and pasted them into floating groups on the new page which are toggled on and off by the use of tastefully placed buttons.

The whole thing looks goods and works like a charm.

1 Like