Is it possible to build a real estate website/app on bubble with 40k listings?

Lol, you caught me :slight_smile: Haha, but seriously Iā€™m so excited to release this thing soon. Itā€™s so useful.

1 Like

I hadnā€™t realized until our convos about GPT-4 that you were working on plugins now. Thatā€™s great to hear. The big problem with most Bubble plugins (even some sophisticated ones that are written by people who actually know what they are doing vis-a-vis web dev) is that they donā€™t really take into account what Bubble devs actually need and are not sufficiently friendly to the Bubble developer.

(Consider that there are lots of crappy plugins to access localStorage that are basically one-liners. And none of them are helpful really in the context of Bubble. But when someone (me) comes along and designs one that does all of the things that a normal Bubbler would expect from such a plugin, along with utility functions that one would expect to need for the use cases implied by using browser storage in the first place, well all of a sudden thatā€™s about 1500 lines of code.)

Anyway, if you ever hit roadblocks with your Bubble plugin development, feel free to PM me about ideas.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny - Iā€™ve got over 30 plugins Iā€™ve just never published. Comes down to lotā€™s of dabbling/just solving problems I have. But this is only the second time Iā€™ve created something I think considerably more people than myself need. So here we go :slight_smile:

Thank you! Super appreciate your help and input as always :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, in Floppy, thatā€™s something Iā€™ve started to do: Just including certain plugin elements as ā€œexperimentalā€ with the caveat that they are not finished/up-to-my-usual-standards or perhaps not even helpful.

I was surprised to find that as soon as I did this, one of the most savvy Floppy users was like, ā€œOh hai, that ā€˜Inline SVGā€™ element is really useful!ā€ But itā€™s something I wouldnā€™t have published it to the plugin store on its own as its kind of junky, but functional.

Anyway, to bring this back to the topic of this thread: @alexamarre, Iā€™m totally with @zelus_pudding on this. (1) You can of course create a Bubble app to deal with 40K ā€œlistingsā€ but you must watch out for doofus moves (e.g., donā€™t put a giant list of images directly on the listing objects themselves, abstract them away a bit) and (2) the ā€œsearchā€ functionality for listings probably wouldnā€™t use Bubbleā€™s built-in database features but would best be handled by an ā€œas you typeā€ search powered by Algolia or similar (which would then pull the data from a specific, identified listing from the Bubble database). Given all of that, you could in fact just have a static site (hosted/built on some other stack as you do now) that just uses Algolia in the same way. Itā€™s a bit hard to argue that Bubble would really be any sort of help in this particular context.

Unless youā€™re just dying to learn web development for yourself (ā€œnot that thereā€™s anything wrong with thatā€), you might just want to hire a dev to add such features to your existing (or next-gen) site.

2 Likes