Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Is it possible to change a data type into a list after it's creation?

I’ve created a data type called ‘Team’ and I had set it as only a single item.

Now, I’m looking to make it so that this ‘team’ data set is a list but I don’t see a way for me to do that.

Does anyone have a work around to this?

Or what would be the easiest way to re-do this without messing up anything I’ve created in the app so far?

Is the data type a thing or a field on a thing?

If it’s a field on a thing. Do you a list of teams on the user for example? If so, it may be as easy as adding a new data field to the thing called teams and set it to accept a list of teams

I’ve had to do this a few times :sweat_smile:

What I did was create a new field in the datatype that was a list (as far as I’m aware you can’t modify a field structure, only the name after it’s created).

Then on page I placed a button (I have a random page I use for things like this).

I made a backend workflow to ‘make changes to a list of things’. Say it’s a field on your user datatype you’d like to bulk change from the old field to new field. Then for the list you do a search for users and have no constraints (so it brings back all users - add constraints if you don’t want all of a thing), then add your new list field as the field to change by adding ‘this user’s old field type’.

Link the workflow to the button on the page, preview the page and then click the button. VOILA!

If you need it to happen to your live database, then if it worked in dev push to live and repeat :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gonna have to wrap my head around this one and give it a shot.

So I have one seperate data type called ‘Team’ which just has a ‘name’ Data.

Then on the user’s data, I have a team data point - this is what I want to change from just one to a list.

So I’ve added a list of teams now under the ‘user’ data type.

Would you know how the back end needs to look?

thank you :smiley:

Mohamad

It’s quite simple to implement :slight_smile:

Make sure you also update all your WF’s to add/modify the new list field and delete the old one when you are satisfied the data has migrated successfully - just to stop it accidentally being used :slight_smile:

So I have one seperate data type called ‘Team’ which just has a ‘name’ Data.

Then on the user’s data, I have a team data point - this is what I want to change from just one to a list.

So I’ve added a list of teams now under the ‘user’ data type.

Would you know how the back end needs to look?

thank you :smiley:

Mohamad

the backend WF?

It’s just a simple make changes to a list of things WF. Set your API Endpoint up like this (your key will be user and type user)

Then your action will be make changes to a list of things. The type will be ‘user’, the list of things will be ‘user’ (should be the first option that appears when you enter dynamic data).

Then pick your new teams field and add ‘this user’s old team field’.