Is ':saved to s3' a different location to File Manager?

I’ve just set up a Workflow that takes a new image and compresses it (using the Image Compress and Resize plugin).

When the image is first added, I can see that it appears in the File Manager:

With a URL like this in my database:

However when I then take the compressed file and save it to s3, the URL looks like this:

And it doesn’t show up in File Manager.

I assume this is meant to happen, but would just like to know why this is the case and what is actually happening behind the scenes?

And, more importantly, does the file stored in s3 also contribute to my Bubble storage quota (10GB)?

Many thanks

1 Like

as of S3, you can look at here Operators & Comparisons - Bubble Docs.

but why are you paying 3$ a month or even 29$, you can easily implement TinyPAN via API connect and compress your file. it gives you 500 compression a month. if need help i would love to help you out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Baloshi69 — so you’re saying that saving to s3 does contribute to my Bubble storage quota — it’s just separate from File Manager?

Will look into Tiny via API, the plugin was just a quick and easy solution to start out with!

I have the same question, I wonder if saved to S3 contributes to the data storage in File manager, or if it is just in dev mode. The question is, do we have a 20GB max on saved to S3, or is it more ?
Do you have a clear answer?
Thanks

Hello so you are saying the ‘native’ savedtoS3 in the workflow, without any plugin installed, do nothing on S3 ?
I do not understand as ‘AWS S3 file uploader’ is a third party plugin.
Anyway, I developed my own ‘save to S3’ API, but I would prefer to use a native bubble tool for reliability. Why can’t we just enter our S3 access somewhere in the settings tab, to configure bubble native ‘:savedtoS3’ of the workflow.
And the last thing is after analyzing, the cost of storage by upgrading Bubble storage is more expensive but it is more simple to start :slight_smile:

This reads like a GPT response…

??? None of this is true for vanilla Bubble

Yes, sure some part are from GPT. If you know how to ask proper questions it save a lot of time. Then doing a conventional search.

This ChatGPT answer is inaccurate, does not contribute to help the OP and pollutes the overall forum.
Please refrain from publishing irrelevant content.

3 Likes

Sure, thanks will delete it then

What is vanilla bubble

Bubble product as it exists

No need to. Moderation took care of it.

2 Likes

Is it nocode varient, or varient from actuall bubble programming :thinking:

@klovistore :saved to S3 will contribute to your storage, I doubt they would give us free storage right there for us to exploit. Strange though, it doesn’t show up on your file manager? Good to know if true

Everything mentioned from GPT would be a plugin to store files externally on your own AWS account, that would require a plugin but wouldn’t be able to use the built-in Imgix features without some workarounds or integration yourself.

@Baloshi69 Vanilla Bubble = Bubble out of the box without plugins pretty much. Personally I like Oatmilk Mint Chocolate Bubble though.

Well, I had doubt between the ‘dev’ database and ‘live’ database.
Final answer to me: ‘saved to s3:’ from the workflow DOES contribute to the storage plan, like the app.
You can add additional storage for 30$/To/month if need be directly on bubble.io, compared to ~22$/To/month (eu zone) on AWS S3.
There is a limit of ~1,8 To that can be added on bubble.io on paid plan, but I think we can have more if we contact them, there is no limit on S3.
Finally, you can easily create your own ‘saved to S3:’ API, with python flask on another server, if need be, with boto3 library, by configuring your S3 bucket with public rights. You can then make a call ‘to external API’ to your own API, to store your files on your own bucket, quit the same way, as you store the URL, or URI in your bubble ‘things’. => no need for paying a complicate plugin that do the same and actually pass your data on their own server.

The answer from Baloshi69 was inaccurate and misleading, and has been deleted.

Contact me if you need the code for my simple python flask API, that I tested during few days, I can help you to set it up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.