Is there a way to add a ID to a record automatically?

Hello,
I know there’s a built-in Unquie ID for all tables, however, is there a way to make a 3 Digit Unique Id once a record is submitted through a form?

1 Like

Yes, I do this by adding an 8 character text field called myID to the data type, and populating it with
Calculate Formula -> Generate Random String
and I allow letters, non capitalised letters, and numbers.
Each character has 62 possible values, so this could have 62 to the power of 8 combinations, so basically gazillions of values to prevent any overlap…

… and 8 characters are a bit more manageable than the Bubble generated ID value.

If you use only 3 characters then you have 238,000 possible values, so more chance of an overlap.

I hope that helps…

Antony.

Is there anyway this can auto increment from like 0001 to 0002?

Good question… I’ve not found a way to do it totally reliably. However, I create incremental invoice numbers just by having a numeric value stored in my user record and incrementing it immediately after I have put it into a new invoice. It could be that the same invoice gets the same number as there is nothing to lock it from use before it is taken…

So i have this call system:

this is the database for it

how could i tell it to start at 1 after putting in a new call?

Set the first call in your database to have a call ID of 1…then every other call in the database would have a call id of " last calls call id + 1 " these of course need to have call ids that are numbers and not text for the math function to work.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.