In the next 2 or so minutes, I am going to save you a lot of money if you want to get your app built, save you a lot of time if you are building your own app and how to scale features if you have an existing app
Just as some background, I have been a full time bubble developer for over a year, and my agency has helped over nine companies build amazing softwares
The Problem
I was speaking with a traditional developer last Friday, and he told me that it’s easy to build an app that can scale in terms of users, but it’s very hard to build an app that can scale in terms of features
In my experience, I can attest that this is very true and I think it is one of the major differences between good developers and great developers
Speed is a problem (sorta)
A lot of apps are primarily focused on the speed of development. While this is great, most developers take it too far, they compromise on quality and a proper scoping phase to understand what the client wants now, and what features will come in the next 3-36 months.
When proper scoping and speed is prioritized, it means the developer hasn’t thought about
- How structure the database to accommodate new features the client has talked about wanting in the future
- Or how to create a design system that allows you to build new pages on an app without having to reinvent the wheel
- Or they don’t use proper naming conventions on elements and workflows, meaning when you have to edit the app in the future, it will be a mess and will take far longer than it should. (meaning more cost for the client)
- Or workflows are not sorted in folders and colors, and no notes have been made on the app
The Result
In the short term, you have software that works, but in 1-3 years, you will reach a breaking point.
This is when companies say that bubble sucks and they have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to swap to traditional coding to scale their app further
But if the app was built with a solid base and consideration for the potential features that will be added in the next 3–36 months and with proper build practices
It can allow a company to scale features faster, cheaper and in a manner that follows good development practices instead of just duct taping new features on every update
Conclusion
If you like to save time and money, getting your app built, I would do the following
- Never go with cheap developers, this almost always ends up in a low quality application that will need to be rebuilt in the future (Costing you more money!)
- Have a roadmap of all the features you want in the future (this can change, but its good to think about), and when you are interviewing developers, ask them how they will build the app to accommodate these features
- Find a developer who has experience building and maintaining large databases, I have worked in apps with 100+ data types (with 1,000,000+ records) and I can say that the experience has made a far better developer
If you are building your own app
- I would recommend reading Peter Amilies books if you haven’t already
- Spend a day building a database scheme before you build your app
- Map out what features you want in the future, and your plan for building those features
This will allow you to find any features that will not work with your current database structure, and how you can change your app now to facilitate these features
- Get some coaching if you have the budget, you can spend a couple hundred dollars for some coaching and I can guarantee it is worth the investment
If you have an existing app
- Speak with your developer about the features you want to build in the future and get them to see if the features are possible with the current structure of the app
- If your app does not have proper documentation and organization, I would highly recommend investing the time or money into this, it makes building and maintaining the app far easier
- If you got your app built by someone else, I would recommend getting an App Audit, My agency offers this service for free, and there are paid audits offered agencies like notquiteunicorns, founded by @georgecollier
So how can you make your apps more scalable?