Linking Data Types by User

I am creating an app for students to view grades. Right now I have 2 data types:

• User
  • Grades

My goal is to create a repeating group that will display their grades for each class. I am creating the data in the grades database as that’s not something we want to rely on our students doing themselves. Since they aren’t the creator of the data, how can I best associate a user with data in the grades data type?

Hi there, @rfitzpatrick… add a user field on the Grades data type, and tie that field to the User data type. Then, you will be able to add a constraint to the repeating group’s search where the user field is the current user.

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

Hi @mikeloc thank you for your quick response. I’m brand new to Bubble, so I just want to make sure I understand how to do this. Can you please explain in more detail how I add a constraint to the repeating group?

When you add a data source to a repeating group, you are able to constrain the source like this…

The above being said (and I mean no offense by this at all because we were all brand new to Bubble at one point), adding a constraint to a repeating group is about as basic as it gets in Bubble. So, if you haven’t done any tutorials that have helped you understand the basics, you are really going to struggle. I highly suggest taking a step back and working through some of the great training material that is out there because it will definitely help you get up the somewhat steep (but definitely well worth it) learning curve.

1 Like

Thank you for your help and your suggestion. I look forward to learning a lot more.

1 Like

My pleasure… definitely keep on going, but beware because once you get hooked on Bubble, it’s over… in the best of ways, of course. :slight_smile:

I can’t believe it…well, okay, I can. It was a total rookie error. I had my data set up correctly and even had my constraint configured correctly, but I was doing it to my text element instead of the repeating group. Thanks again for helping me work through that!

1 Like