Monthly Community Update - August 2020

I understand that, but if this would mean auto updates, “no reload”, I don’t think this would be possible. If it means no interruptions until the user presses the banner his/herself, then I think I could see that happening.

Yes I think you may be right, perhaps it may just be that the user actually has to refresh the page himself but that he does not see the black banner and that the current page is still usable in its old form until the refresh happens but that once the page is reloaded you get the new page. Definitely stopping the interruption to what we are doing when any push is changed is a step in the right direction.

1 Like

@josh and @emmanuel

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It has become the highlight of the month. A must read always…

4 Likes

Do not ignore or lower the problem that is in reality!
We have 4 years old opened topic Bubble app on Europe (EU) server located which has ~115 messages.
I believe this clear that MANY (not several) clients are waiting for EU based servers.

2 Likes

This comment does not add anything to the conversation. I do not know if it’s your intention but it reads as entitled and displaced.

Do you know how many users the platform has to be judging if 115 msj is several or major or niche ?
Next time co-founder of the service you use takes the time to monthly explain to you what is going on internally, you could try to express yourself in a less entitled manner.

Cheers :v:

5 Likes

Just echoing: the percentage of Bubble users in that forum thread, compared to the 470,602 using Bubble, is 0.02% of users. Yeah, I don’t think that’s several, let alone MANY.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @josh!

Woohoo!

Yesssss.

Leverage AI and ML! :wink:

Do you mean Bubble, the development tool, or apps built with Bubble? Or both?

1 Like

Admirable openness and honesty @josh.

You are a rare founder who is willing to provide an update without any embellishment. Good, bad and ugly - it’s all there for everyone to see.

Thank you for the detailed update.

8 Likes

@josh & @emmanuel Really appreciate sharing such updates.
Big performance move :rocket:

Excited to see it coming

We’ve started work on fully-customizable page URLs

Great news!

The complete redesign of our editor has moved forward

2 Likes

This is how you turn your users into fans and advocates for your product.
Really appreciate this level of transparency, a rare quality to find.
Thanks, @josh & @emmanuel

6 Likes

Wow. Just wow. I loove these updates. Oleksiy said it best:

I was amusing myself trying to calculate how much time it would have taken me to write that update. It either would have been a 6-hour furor against a deadline or a month-long continuous burn. All the data, the achievements, the details. And then put it through the grinder that is your teammates opinions…

I would be interested in the story behind the updates themselves.

:heart: Things I appreciate

I’ve spent so many hours (days?) down a rabbit hole trying to figure out why it would take almost a minute for a simple create 60 items and copy in them 1 little other item.

Those big fat 60px Founders Grotesk Semibold are juicy.

:muscle: keep sharing them.

Absolutely love this.

3 Likes

We’re switching from HelpScout to Front. We don’t anticipate a significant impact to users during the switch (though if you email the very first day we start using it, there’s always a chance of a few kinks).

Didn’t some early design mockups leak onto the forum at one point? I think they’re out there… Anyway, we plan to have a period of time where users can beta test (we’re building it in a way so that you can switch back and forth), so there’ll be an opportunity to play with it before we get rid of the old version.

Short answer is it’s very likely something we’ll eventually do, but it’s far enough out I can’t give a meaningful timeline. Likely how this will work is we’ll provide a mechanism for running multiple iterations of the app simultaneously, so that users will be interacting with the old set of workflows until they refresh the page. They’ll probably need to be some kind of time-boundedness to this, or controls for the app owner to force refreshes, so that old workflows that you want to disable eventually go away. The main technical prequisite is changes to our app storage to make it as fast to pull an older version of an app as it is to pull the current version: right now, we have the ability to roll an app back in time, but not to serve the old version in parallel with the new version.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to diminish the size of the issue – I know this is a very big deal for our European customers. I was just referring to the questions in the thread I linked to.

Mostly the former: one of the reasons we are building Bubble is because we think it’s healthy for software development to be something that anyone in the world can do, not just people with the resources to become programmers or work with programmers. But it’s not enough to just build the tool: we ned to put effort into getting into the hands of people who otherwise might be locked out of the tech ecosystem.

7 Likes

Hi Josh,

Could you please base the new editor/responsive engine on bootstrap? It just works so well and so many other low code editors are using it.

Maybe just keep old apps on the old system but new apps use the new system? Would be a really clean way to break from the old editor.

Moving past the current system imo is crucial. The current system was never great but compared to other low-code front-end systems at this point it’s antiquated and almost a deal-breaker. I don’t mean the ui/ux I mean the fact there are no blocks, grids, standardized headers, tables, native css, or anything else.

Please just implement bootstrap. Combined with your backend editor/systems - which are unmatched, still miles ahead of the pack - you’d be unbeatable.

3 Likes

For clarity, you would rather have a Webflow type of editor where you’re programming HTML+CSS instead of Bubble’s abstraction layer? How is Bootstrap linked to this? I thought it was just a library.

After years of bubbling, I took a dive into Webflow. Wow, programming CSS is not easy. But I’m starting to get it. So, yeah, this would be nice and could open the doors to a lot of new people coming from the design world.

Am I the only one who likes the current editor?! Good podcast yesterday :v:

4 Likes

Great! Fantastic news.

2 Likes

Looks like you were very correct - I found some (beautiful) leaks :heart_eyes:

This is an older version of the design above, but still relevant

This may be something else, but it looks like it may be for the Bubble editor redesign

These are from Matt Legrand, Head of Design at Bubble:

10 Likes

If those screens are a true representative of what to expect then I stand corrected in my above statement.

7 Likes

Love these updates so much. Thanks you guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woah! Looks like the forum got an update to match the main site also!

1 Like