Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Multiple Ghost User ID

Hello,

I’ve found that multiple ghost user IDs that belongs to no one have been popping up in every database as user.

I’ve set up a workflow that “make changes to user” that adds the “current user” to the database only when “current user is logged in and current page’s thing does not contain current user”.

As a result, I’ve gotten a list of ghost user IDs as “current user” that belongs to no one.

1610307255753x463554622982784700,
1610108251679x491739783877476600

are logged in database as “user” everywhere.

Any idea why this happens?

When a user navigates to your site and interacts with it (presses buttons which trigger workflows), if that user is not logged in and the workflows interact with your database to create things, the automatic entries for user are blank, but stored as cookies for up to 3 days. If the user returns and signs up for your app, the system automatically adjusts those entries to point to the correct user.

In your situation, you probably already know that which is why there is the use of the conditional the current user is logged in…I believe the issue is due to the fact it is a conditional based on two conditions both of which need to be met (that is what the ‘and’ operator does)…so if the user is not logged in, the current page user would never be that user (unless they have been previously logged in while on the page and then log out while remaining on the page, the system still recognizes them presumably due to cookies).

What would be helpful to understand to try and help more is to see what you actually see in the database, as well as the list of users to see if there is a user you created manually and didn’t assign an email address to which would result in an empty email field.

Thanks so much for your kind explanation @boston85719, it makes sense.

However, I did set up the database to only change when the user’s logged in. There’s no “create thing” or “make changes to user” triggered when the user’s not logged in. So why would the database workflow be triggered when user’s not logged in? Any ideas? :thinking:

Maybe my previous comment is still relevant here