[New Plugin] 'Env' Environment Variables

Hello Bubblers,

Announcing a new extremely powerful plugin: Env Environment Variables

1. Truly merges Javascript code with bubble
  2. Makes working with reusables a breeze
  3. Enables you to dramatically reduce workflows / conditionals by over 50% in tricky situations while also speeding up your app

Added this to the Bubble Developer Kit :smiley:

Env Variables:
This plugin allows you to create & use variables in bubble. You can

• Create any number of Env variables from any spot in the app
  • Read any variable from several places in the app simultaneously
  • Write to any variable from any place in the app (workflow, action, auto-binding)
  • Auto-bind any variable from one / several places in the app
  • Read / write any variable through JavaScript code

A few examples I’ve used these for:

1. Switching tabs within app from various locations without any maintenance
  2. Triggering workflows on main page from reusable element without any custom states
  3. Sending data across several reusable modules and page simultaneously
  4. Running JavaScript code to quickly reformat & process data received from api call
  5. Create data sets required as source inputs for google charts
  6. Running complex if-then-else conditions & loops via code and getting output back for use in bubble

Check out demo below :smiley:

Priced the same as all plugins in the Bubble Developer Kit at $4/month.

Happy Bubbling!
Cheers,
Gaurav

11 Likes

You can try all of these demos at https://bdkdemos.bubbleapps.io/env_variable

Use between JavaScript and Bubble seamlessly!

Share data across reusables, main page etc. without workflows, custom states or database fields

Autobind one Env from multiple sources conditonally

These are just a few of the potential applications :smiley: Env’s are:

1. Fast : They don’t touch the database or any external service.
  2. Temporary : Exist only until page exists. Destroy on reload / page change. Can be saved to database fields via workflows when required
  3. Flexible : Can be used with code as well as bubble. Support custom data types of your app. Can be read / written from any spot in the app.
4 Likes

Will be great to have one example. Great initiative! Bubble bundle is necessary now :wink:

1 Like

Check out the zodiac sign example in the demo. Its’ basically a multi level if then else code pasted into the Run javascript and output to an Env variable :smiley:

2 Likes

@gaurav You’re a rockstar.

3 Likes

Haha. Thank you @gregjohnkeegan !! Appreciate the kind words

Hi @gaurav, since this plugin has a “Run Javascript” and the toolbox plugin also have an action with the same it got me confused initially.
I thought you were using @mishav’s Run Javascript action from the toolbox plugin at first.

Are you able to rename the action? It will avoid the confusion I had previously when you mentioned Run Javascript action since most ppl automatically assume you’re talking about the existing one.

It will also help to distinguish them in the workflow editor.

Nice job.

Ah I see. Thanks for the feedback @seanhoots! Just published a update marking it for identification.

1 Like

Looks super useful. Can’t wait to try it out!

Additionally, can this be used to pass data from the page into cells with an RG?

1 Like

Yep it can :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @gaurav

This plugin seems to be very useful, however I am not a coder and unsure of how it would work. Is it possible to open up the editor of the demos you created so that I could poke around and figure how it functions.

I recently started to get into the design and responsiveness which has caused me to look more into using javascript.

An issue I am having now is that using the toolbox plugin the javascript in the workflows needs to be run frequently. For example, using it to adjust elements according to the view port dimensions, if I set it on page load, and then adjust the size of the view port after page load, and then attempt to adjust them again, things stop working.

I’d like to explore your plugin more to see if it is something I could find useful, but would need to poke around the editor of the examples a bit to see first if I’d be able to understand how to use it with snippets of code I find online.

Hi @boston85719,
Yes all bdk plugins come with demos, the corresponding editor as well a walkthrough video of setup. Just open the ‘Guide’ section in the relevant plugin’s docs here

Cheers,
Gaurav

Thanks for the link. I didn’t recognize the link was already up before.

By the way, are all the plugins that are listed as part of the bubble developer kit, which contains 17 plugins; are they each $4 a month or is the kit (all 17 plugins included) $4 a month?

Cheers

edit

Just started watching the walk through videos. Do they have audio? I can’t seem to click the audio icon to “unmute” it.

Yep each plugin is $4/month. Nearly all plugins also have an optional $16 one-time purchase. Bubble doesn’t support plugin bundles currently.

The walkthrough videos are made without audio :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @gaurav can the variable be a array from the database, “Do a search for” in specific?

This one is for a single thing only (won’t support a list of things).
I will build a plugin supporting list of things as it will be helpful :smiley:
Meanwhile, depending on your use case you might find the Utilities (bdk) plugin helpful while working with lists.

@Gaurav this plugin is magnificent! Thanks alot!

2 Likes

Hi @gaurav

How to use and access internal variables from API Workflow section using Set Env action?

56%20PM

Hi @JohnMark,
API workflows are executed on bubble’s server so there’s no way to set environment variables there. Only bubble can implement that.

1 Like

Bumping this back to the top of the forum for anyone who hasn’t used this yet.

I spent 4 hours coming up with an incredibly elaborate way to pass states in and out of reusable elements contained within a few layers of repeating groups only to come to the conclusion that it wasn’t snappy enough. It WORKED but it wasn’t good enough for my users.

Took a look at this plugin and I was able to do what I wanted to and upsetting amount of ease. It’s upsetting because I could’ve saved 4 hours of my life had I found this sooner.

Thanks @gaurav, definitely going to check out more of what you’ve got! :sunglasses:

4 Likes