Passing a url Parameter

awesome! I always wondered how to do this!

Hey guys,
somebody know if is possible to pass a temp password through an url parameter?

I am trying, but when get the temp password in the password cell using GET, I only get two characters. Is this restricted?

Thank you guys 

I haven’t tried, but I assume you can’t do that, as exposing a password in a URL is a huge security risk.

It is not an actual password, it is just temporary. Which will change once logged in. I believe the problem is the password input that doesn’t accept get parameters.

You could also just assign a new temp password on the new page and use the “Result of step X” option to sign the user in.

Since it’s a temp password, you can always just reset it again when you need to.

Thanks @natedogg, but it is little more complicated than that, I am developing a Workaround to Change user’s email address when the user has lost the control over the email or just doesn’t exist anymore.

Hey Nigel,

Is there a way to specify or identify the parameter of an element, say an Input, on a page in my app? I’d like to send a url with prefilled values but I don’t see where element parameters are defined.

Thanks for any help!

Hi there,

Elements don’t really have “parameters” as such. You pass data to them from the page, or via setting states.

So what you could do would be on “Page Load” is read in all the parameters and save them as states on the page. Then each element can refer to them.

That makes sense. Not a webdev so I just assumed an input would automatically have a parameter or name or something to identify it like the q in Google search.

Is that normally something you’d be able to code into the html if you were developing from scratch?

Can you elaborate how you went about this? Temporarily in the database “User” table?

Now that Bubble has the ability to simple pass a parameter from page to page … I would do that.

So if you want to pass a search parameter like “apple” then just do it in there.

That is probably better than passing on the User.

1 Like

Understood. My requirement is to take the end-user from a specific line item in a RG - then - pass all 10 fields from the RG to a separate page with 10 input fields for editing.

You suggest 10 parameters?

Thanks for your time.

Is the page type of the second page type User? If so, you don’t need to send parameter just the current cell’s user.

If the page type is not user and the 10 fields are linked to the user data type, you can put the 10 fields inside a group, put the data source as User and extract the user from URL. You’ll only need to send 1 parameter

:globe_with_meridians: https://nocodeassistant.com/

Thanks.

The second page type was not “User” it was a type called “Forms” which I created.

What I ultimately did to solve the problem was:

1. Placed an icon element in the RG line to trigger workflow.
  2. Made “data to send” current cells Form - which added the unique ID to the url.
  3. Pulled the unique ID using the Path feature.
  4. Used a constraint to Current User to capture the items associated with that Form.

It performs well and required less code/logic.

Is it possible to send a parametar from a reusable group, to dynamic page?

To use the parameter to trigger the (side) menu (floating group)…

Hello @another

Yes. Url parameters can be sent from a reusable.

1 Like

How to send for the same page?

It’s easy to add parameters when you are already on the page, same if you are not, and you are sending parameters to that particular page.

What if we want to send parameters from a reusable that is across whole application, lets say a header, to send parameters to trigger a menu (that is another reusable (across whole application).

How to send parameters from a dynamic page to only open the menu?

States doesn’t work, two reusable elements. Another concept?

Thanks!

Nested reusables … precisely :smiley:

On a [link] element, select the ‘external url’ option, not ‘internal page’.

Then hardcode the name-value pair of the parameter at the end of the ‘destination url’ value, like this:

<website-url>?<parameter-name>=<parameter-value>

When you go to that page you can read the parameter value using the ‘Get ? parameter from page url’ and selecting its value.

The ‘?’ denotes the start of parameters in the url; you can include multiple parameters by separating them with ‘&’

You can trigger this in the workflow: use the sequence ‘Navigation > Open an external website’.

The Brooks Brothers Trailers

2 Likes

Hi there - just launched a feature, so you can change URL parameters more easily! Learn more: [Feature] Enable navigating to a dynamic page