Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Persistent Message Window

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is a way to create a persistent message window like the small Facebook message windows that are persistent when on Facebook desktop?

Cheers
Lyndon

Hey Lyndon, I haven’t done this but I think you may be able to create something similar using a floating group (float to: bottom). You could have one floating group to the far right of the screen containing the list of Users available to message, and then a second floating group to its left which would display the conversation the User clicked on on the right? It may be a little different of a look, but I think it’s possible!

Hi Faye.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. That could certainly do the trick I think. The behaviour I am wanting to emulate is how the chat window stays open even as pages are navigated. Not sure how they do this, but I guess if I had a user flag that indicated if the chat window is open or closed then it could automatically open / close based on that switch.

I’ll have a play with that and see how it comes up.

Thanks Faye.

Cheers
Lyndon

Sure thing :slight_smile: I think if you stored a field on the User such as “Chat Open” (Type: Yes/No, List: No), then that could ensure that the chat would remain open from page to page - though changing that value many times could mean a lot of workflows since you’d be making changes to the Current User.

Good point Faye. Thinking about it. It probably doesn’t need to remain open as long as it’s easily accessible. Then I’ll just use custom states to control the view. That’ll keep the workflow count down.

Cheers
Lyndon

1 Like

Page parameters are handy for passing on small bits of info to another page.