Recurring Workflow Best Practice

Hi there - I have seen a number of topics on the forum that deal with how to do something like: I want to send a weekly email to all my users (possibly with some filter).

As far as I can tell there are two ways to implement this, and I’d love input on if there’s a reason to choose one over the other:

1. One solitary recurring event that is trigger via button press (on an internal page), which schedules an API call on a specific schedule. That API call performs the search for all users and fires off the email.
  2. Using a DB trigger to schedule the weekly email event on each new user, on the fly, as they sign up.

Is there a reason to do one over the other? Number one seems to be popular amongst forum users but it makes me uneasy for two reasons:

1. The idea that a button click sets up a scheduled event for the rest of time feels weird (I know I can cancel it again with another button click). I have a bias in general for things happening on the backend.
  2. More practically, option 1 feels like a hack, because Bubble specifically asks for one workflow thing when triggering a recurring workflow. That means that to use option, you have to pick a workflow thing at random, and actual recurring event doesn’t use that input. To me, that’s a red flag.

Does anyone have any insight into this question?