Response to previous thread

@emmanuel What are the costs for overages?

Also, is it possible for you to identify some additional plan tiers with higher database capacities? The transparency in pricing will help people adjust and predict future costs beyond the current published 200,000 record cap.

2 Likes

According to his original post and screen shot - overage cost is $20/mo for 5,000 things.

@emmanuel is $20 per 5K the cost we should expect?

1 Like

This is the most important thing @emmanuel could comment on

Personally, I don’t have a problem with an increase in price, but the database entry limit model just doesn’t work.

It also incentivizes bad DB design:

Instead of building out multiple data types like a typical, high-performance relational database, builders will now be incentivized to:

• Have a User
  • Fit everything else into “Content”

to minimize the # of database rows. Obviously, this is only going to make logic harder to write, search queries messier, apps harder to organize and less performant. It is very disappointing to see @bubble try and disguise this move as an attempt to increase performance.

Having to connect to an external database for every app that exceeds 20k-200k database entries just simply eliminates most of bubble’s appeal, as already echoed in this thread. It’ll also have a substantial impact on agencies and experienced freelancers, who will now need to connect to an external DB and teach it to their clients every single time. It’ll also significantly decrease the number of interested business owners willing to build their first web/mobile app on bubble.

I think it is better to calculate a per-unit cost of maintaining 1MB of database storage, and create a pricing model based on that. You’ll be able to charge the heavy databases, disincentivize bad DB design, make @bubble more money, and make apps more performant in the long run.

5 Likes

We’re currently re-evaluating the DB things limit based on the feedback we’ve been getting, and don’t plan to roll out this pricing without making changes.

See my post here: Changes to how we charge for applications going forward - #414 by emmanuel

24 Likes

Very much appreciate this transparency

Well I can finally breathe again. Thanks.

Thank you much @emmanuel for looking at our feedback. Really appreciate it :raised_hands:.

1 Like

Finally, I was already on an existential crisis and planning to move to another boat. thanks for listening.

Thank you @emmanuel.
Please also revisit the MAU limit.
A similar overcharge per user (even if the DB limit on rows is entirely removed) is honestly devastating.

3 Likes

I have been with Bubble for more than 4 years now. It has been a beautiful journey but with this post, it has come to an end. Thank you for all the good things in the past and wish you good luck
@emmanuel @josh

They will probably make a gradual change in the limit to not have many complaints, but in the end the total reduction will be the same

Even though I’m really scare about the new pricing scheme, I really appreciate the transparency with this discussion - makes me still trust bubble!

2 Likes

@emmanuel if you want double the revenue from the night to day, just double the prices of actual plan prices.

I agree the personal plan it’s cheap and the value it’s more than actual price, but your proposal it’s not fair. You just break one of the most value things: the confidence :worried:

2 Likes

Agree with this.

1 Like

This is destabilizing, personally, for the business and the future, in unstable times. Bubble’s attraction has been that it is accessible – and this is the core reason for investing thousands of hours in it and for extolling it.

The argument for the new pricing model seems to be built on metrics for the average app. This feels like a mistake, since many apps are junk, and first-time efforts that will never go live. Including them in the calculation is going to skew the view of the ‘average number of things’.

I agree with the others who say that if they saw the new pricing model now when looking for a platform partner, they would have gone elsewhere. I really hope the team do an about-face on record counts.

2 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes
  1. This promotes horrible DB design. Just have one entry per user with a big JSON to get around the entry limit.
  2. Giving business’ 9 months to re-do their business does not seem fair.
  3. Capacity STILL EXISTS. You’ve just added another barrier of database entries and monthly users. ( Businesses that have 20 users online all the time will run into database entry limits, Businesses that have 200 Users online for 1 hour of the day will run into capacity issues.)
  4. Your homepage still says “There are no hard limits on the number of users, volume of traffic, or data storage.” so as we’ve all believed this, my only question is this:

Bubble has 1.6M users on your site. What would it cost me to have just 1.6M users in my database?

5 Likes