RG data refresh causing Spikes in workload usage

Hi there,

Since last few days i have been getting emails from bubble on workload usage spike, but since the app is in testing, there is no other user than me. Also i have accounted for the fact that loading index page only consumes 2.4 units, but i am getting spike mails of 9000 units a day, which is crazy.

So i went to logs and went into the data to find that most of the workload units were getting hit by a series of deleted pages starting with text “apiconnector2…”. Now i never created or deleted any page with such name in my app, so how is bubble showing me this data? Is it possible that my app has been hacked or is it a technical issue at bubble’s end?

Anybody facing such usage spikes from fake pages getting created & deleted without your permission? Is this a security issue? What should i do?

Update: Waiting for bubble to help on email sent yesterday. Meanwhile 24K units were consumed by 1 user (me) out of which actual usage on index page (single page app) was 16 units while rest was from apiconnector2 deleted pages.

This was on live testing in production


pls look into this at the earliest!

@support2 @supportdept @josh24 @support @Emmanuel

Update 2: Seems like bubble support did something to fix charts which now should workload units consumed by Tatum API calls instead of deleted pages. The strange thing is that Tatum APIs haven’t changed since last few weeks & spike in units occurred only in last couple of days. The only thing I did was to upgrade plan to tier-2 to try it for a day, then cancelled, still bubble got me to pay full tier-2 price instead of starter, keeping balance in credits, which are now being burnt with overage somehow that was not a problem with same number of api calls from same api connector a few days ago. Doesn’t feel right.

Based on workload units consumed data, on average 25 workload units are getting consumed per API call & since I am building a financial app that pulls real time trading data, there might be 20-50 api calls per user session. Assuming daily 100 users are online, it would imply 2000-5000 api calls & 50K-125K in units consumed daily. For a month, it would be 1.5 million - 3.75 million units consumed which gives a monthly bill of $140-$460.

If the app is generating income, the billing is not the problem I think (though it seems very high compared to traditional AWS code deploy setup), but how come suddenly an api call starts consuming 25 units when a week ago it was not even 2 units? Anybody else experiencing this?

1 Like

Are you using a template?

Yes, using below PWA template, but have been working on this since last 4 months and most of the parts have been changed. Does this have any bearing on workload spikes?

template- Mobile App & PWA Kit 4.0 Template | Bubble

There’s been similar cases from other users who get “ghost” WU usage from deleted template pages.

I’m not too sure what causes it but just curious if the template came with plugins that have shared headers?

I suggest getting in touch with the template creator.

Waow.

I didn’t know about these cases.
And since it is impossible to disassociate a template from an app once the app is created… I have several apps running linked to a template I do not use today but that is still there juste because I tested it once a long time ago. :scream:

Template didn’t come with plugins or shared headers. Almost all plugins and APIs have been installed by me in the app.

Templates are not the problem

this was not a template issue, please see update 2 above.

Same problem,

How to fix it? Do you have any suggestions about it?

problem was caused by using display data in RG action in workflow with date headers or params in API calls used to make api calls at current date & time bypassing bubble cache mechanisms. this was making like 1 api call each second per action used in workflow resulting in 125K api calls being made in a day.

bubble support wasn’t really able to offer a solution, so i removed all display data in RG actions along with date header mechanisms & instead started saving data in bubble db, by making single api calls based on button click or page load actions.

Yeah, I’ve experienced very strange ‘linking’ behaviors between template and the apps created from the template. I’ve had instances on two separate templates in which things were changed in the template not by me. I’ve always had a feeling there was some wider bug that caused an inexcusable issue with templates and the apps created from them.