[solved] iOS Resolution Issue - Rejected from app store

Apple just rejected my bubble app because of the following issue:

From Apple

2.10 Details

We noticed that your app did not run at iPhone resolution when reviewed on iPad running iOS 9.2, which is a violation of the App Store Review Guidelines. We’ve attached screenshot(s) for your reference.

2.10 - iPhone Apps must also run on iPad without modification, at iPhone resolution, and at 2X iPhone 3GS resolution

Next Steps

Please revise your app to ensure it runs at iPhone resolution on iPad.

Is there a way to solve this?

Which screen size are you using? You can control that to the pixel, so should be able to get what they want

I’m using 380 x 678, it looks like on iPad the whole UI is zoomed in.

There are some ideas here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10527781/make-an-iphone-specific-app-work-on-ipad-to-meet-apple-requirements
But honestly, I have no idea where to start…

Are you using the app to test? You should be able to test with different resolutions.

We haven’t tested on iPad yet, so not sure how this works yet.

I built the ipa file through phonegap, successfully did all the provisioning things and now I’m using the actual apple developer testflight app to test.
I can test different resolutions but I can’t get it fixed on the ipad…

I’m trying to use xcode to make changes but no luck so far.
Any ideas that might help?

Well what is the issue? Can you just resize the page?

As we’re still in beta (and haven’t tested on iPad), i can’t guarantee it works there yet. We tested and got approved for the AppStore on iPhones.

How much would it cost to sponsor PhoneGap support?
How much for iPad support?

1 Like

The issue is that the resolution is messed up on iPad.
There must be a solution for this but I couldn’t figure it out yet.

My app did get approved first as well, I did some research and everyone with the same issue gets their app approved but the first time they try updating their build, it gets rejected, so it looks like apple only checks this issue the first time you update your build.
I had to update my build because I started using as new font that I had to add to the binary and I also changed the splash screen.

If you try to update your build that got approved initially, you’ll most likely be rejected.

Also I don’t want to publish for iPad but there is no choice, your app must show up correctly on iPad no matter if you only want to submit for iPhone.

@cho Okey so let`s try to fix this once and for all. :smile:
I will include some input on custom styling in the end of this post that might be beneficial to other readers.

In the future provide screenshots or post video recordings here (if possible) so we can see the issues visually too, it might remove alot of back and forth explanations. (Recordit.co is good for simple recordings, it instantly generates a link for you to share)

I have a few suggestions that I`m sure will resolve your issue(s):

Suggestion one:
Do you have the cordova/phonegap configuration set to: ( target-device value=“handset” ) ? This should be set for iOS build so it does not use all the screen real estate on ipad. Using target-device value=“universal” might create such problems. In cordova it might be found in config.xml AS < preference name=“target-device” value=“handset” / >

Suggestion two:
In phonegap.plist (or cordova equivalent) set or change the following attribute to ( EnableViewportScale : NO )

Suggestion three:

• Set the following info for meta viewport
    width=320, height=480, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no, minimum-scale=0.1
  • Set EnableViewportScale to true in config.xml
  • Set in config.xml

Suggestion four:
Remove ‘width=device-width, height=device-height’ from the meta viewport tag.
alternatively try replacing your viewport meta with this:

Alternate explanations for other users that might use xcode:
IF you are using xcode AND are testing in a simulator make sure you are cleaning the project with cmd+shift+k as there is strong caching of index.html which might prevent you from seeing your latest changes.
IF you are using xcode AND have set a storyboard as launch image, delete the xib file. It should resolve the issue. (Use launch image instead)

General about custom styling for devices, resolutions, retina etc. (CSS and media queries knowledge necessary):

1. Get a remote inspect tool
(Universal, free) Adobe edge inspect: https://creative.adobe.com/products/inspect
(RECOMMENDED Universal, paid) https://www.vanamco.com/ghostlab/
(Universal, free, requires some manual work/config) : https://people.apache.org/~pmuellr/weinre-docs/latest/
Android: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/remote-debugging
Safari (from Windows or Linux): https://github.com/google/ios-webkit-debug-proxy
Safari (on a Mac): http://phonegap-tips.com/articles/debugging-ios-phonegap-apps-with-safaris-web-inspector.html

2. Inspect your web-app
The easiest way is to inspect the web version of your app directly from your exported code running on a webserver (or in phonegap)
Store your resolved CSS overrides (you will not change the default CSS but specify overrides separately) in a file and decide if they should be applied to a specific device or resolution using media queries.

3. Apply the CSS override rules to device specific files if necessary.

Example of different stylesheet files for normal and retina screens:

It would be best to do this directly into bubble, but I suspect it will be more time consuming at the moment.

Please let me know if anyone found this useful or if you have any suggested changes to the approach.

4 Likes

I really appreciate your help @gurun , you are making this community a better place! :smile:

Following your suggestions I managed to fix and get my app re-approved on the App Store.

One thing I’d suggest to anyone who might has this issue in the future, is a great tool that I used to preview my apps on different devices before submitting to the appstore, it’s Amazon’s Device Farm https://aws.amazon.com/device-farm/

It allows you to upload the IPA file that you generated with phonegap and it’ll show you screenshots how your app looks on any device you select.
It made it easy to only submit an IPA file to apple that worked correctly on all devices.

Once again, thanks for the help!

2 Likes

@cho do you want to share the iTunes link to your app?

3 Likes

Yes can you share… would love to see a launched bubble ios app in action

2 Likes

You guys released a new www package and now my app stopped working, it says that the user has no internet connection. Can you email me the new package? I remember Emmanuel telling me about it but I didn’t ask for it as I just built this app for fun, never actually launched. But I want to see if I can make it work again. Thanks

Glad to provide you with an update - shoot an email with your app name and page and we’ll get you going.

I’m actually having this issue as well. Got rejected by Apple for not running at iPhone resolution on iPad. When my app loads, it’s completely zoomed in on iPad. I’ve tried all of @gurun’s suggestions above, but nothing has worked so far.

I’m curious to see if anyone else has had this issue and if they figured out how to get around it. My app looks great on every iPhone that I’ve tested, just having iPad issues.

If anyone else has successfully gotten their app approved, I’d be curious to hear what dimensions you’re using as well. @Diego, I actually downloaded and played around with your app. Mind sharing your dimensions?

@natedog, I’m using 380x655 because I’m using another “container”. But the first time I got approved , 2 moths ago, using phonegap I used 380x676. Have you marked the “prevent user from zooming” in the metatarsi menu? , maybe it helps. I just followed Emmanuel and George instructions and everything went well.

1 Like

So it seems that there was an issue with the .zip file I was using before. Not sure how. I had to request a new one because of issues with my old computer and when I updated with the new .zip file, it ran just fine at resolution on an iPad.

2 Likes