Struggling to duplicate things

So I have a checklist app for cleaning a house

The user can create a default checklist, add rooms to it, and add tasks to a room

There is a table that holds checklists.

Another holds rooms that are connected to the checklists

And another that holds tasks that are connected to rooms.

Checklist–>Room–>Task

Here is my data for the checklist. Notice it has a name, as well as a list of rooms that are in it.

Here is my data for eachrooms. Notice a room is associated with a checklist, and also has a list of tasks for the room.

Finally, the task list. It is also associated with a room and a checklist.

So here is the problem.

I can’t figure out how to duplicate a checklist and have the rooms and tasks duplicate as well, while having similar associations.

Here’s my workflow to duplicate a checklist AND rooms. But I can’t figure out how to duplicate the tasks to associate with the rooms and checklist.

The way this works is I create a new checklist. Then I copy the rooms that are associated with the checklist. Then I change the “Checklist” column in each room to the checklist that was created in step 1. Then I change the column in the checklist data type to store the newly created rooms.

It’s messy, but it works. However, I can’t figure out how to go one step deeper as this flow just does not work.

Maybe an API workflow?

“3” (for example) is not a Task. A Task is a Task. 3 is a number.

“Bathroom” is not a Room. “Bathroom” is a text. A Room is a Room.

It’s simpler than you are making it.

I’m not really sure I understand. I just can’t seem to figure out how to create a copy of a task, tied to a room which is tied to a checklist. I know what you’re saying, but don’t really know what to do with that info

Stio trying to “associate” things. You’re breaking the model. Start a new project and fu…dge around with Bubble for a bit. I guarantee you’ll get it.

At the risk of confusing you further, have a look at my video about amenities. I think it will help you understand what a “Thing” is… and what the fields on a Thing should be.

(This video is now rather old and needs a revisit, but it’s still very useful.)

I’m wondering where your experience with databases comes from… think JSON, not Oracle 2009…

Things should have no lists of fundamental data types on them. This is your issue.

If a Thing needs a list of “something” on it, that list should (must) be other Things, not primary data types. (A Thing is a custom datatype stored in your database.)

A list of non-unique items will (nearly) always collapse (in Bubble) to a de-duped list. and this is the source of your problem/confusion.

I understand what you’re saying and I’ve built several other much simpler apps. The problem here is the functionality that I require for this app. I had to add those messy associations over the course of building this app in order to fix problems that were coming up, which is why things are getting very complex now. But I cannot find a simpler way to accomplish what is needed.

And as far as I can tell, my lists are storing other unique Things in them. That’s how the connections are being made between checklist, rooms, and tasks.

This app has 2 parts. What you see here is the user building a default checklist. Think of a business owner building the checklist structure and the employees creating separate checklists that go off of this structure. The owner creates a checklist, adds any number of rooms to it, then adds any number of tasks to a room. Associating all three of those together is critical.

The second part is a user running an unlimited amount of that default checklist. In this case, the user needs to store everything in 3 NEW datatypes.

So now theres a new table for daily checklists, daily rooms, and daily tasks. These are copied over from the default checklist we set up earlier. But the associations between them are critical, while being completely new data types.

Or I can be doing this completely wrong…