Super simple pie chart

trying to make a simple chart, preferably pie chart, using the bubble charts element. I want to count the number of an attribute in my list of things. lets say list of t-shirts come in red, green, and blue. I want to show a chart showing how many of each color in my inventory. I can’t figure out how to do the data source or the value expression. the docs say the type of data must be a number, so do I need to have a field on the database that is counting each color or can I just do it with the correct value expression? I thought the data source should be “search for t-shirts:grouped by color” and value expression is “current point’s count”? shows as valid but nothing loads on the preview.

You are right to use the Group by function.

Search for all T-shirts in your database - group by colour - count

Here is what I have:

If that doesn’t help, add a screen shot of your data series values to this post.

hi, I appreciate your help, but still not able to figure out how to do this, here is my data and what it looks like on the design page. it’s actually packages, not t-shirts, but each package has a posted status coming from a option set of yes or not yet and other package status and size I would chart too if I can ever figure out how this thing works. yours looks quite a bit different than mine, btw.

You are using a different graph there.

So you should have a data source of:

Search for packages - grouped by Posted

And a a value expression of current points count

I think the reason it wasn’t showing up was really stupid because it is starting to work now. I had removed all the formatting like I usually do and just noticed my preview wasn’t blank, it had a feint thin vertical line, lol fixed formatting and that fixed it. that’s embarrassing. now it only shows the label if I hover. one more question… any idea how to get the label to just show?

thank you so much for all the help, you also confirmed the right way of writing the expression, which was sooo frustrating for me, lol.

maybe I will just stick with a bar chart since it seems more useful and the labels just work instead of needing to hover.

Hallo… I’m trying to find solution for my pie issue and found this thread. Went through the write up but it seems my environment is not picking up some of the settings mentioned above, seeking help please…

I would like to create a pie chart displaying the number of attendees under 4 categories named “Age Type” (Adult, Child with Bed, Child without Bed and infant).

Under value expression, I couldn’t get Current Point Count as above. It’s giving me Current Point Age Type Display and the result is not showing the count of attendees in the respective age group.

Current settings

Can anyone guide me how to set the data source, value expression and confirm if the label expression used is correct?

Thank you so much in advance.