Why is Bubble not more popular?

I use bubble for everything and its just embarrassing to talk about to tech businesses. I wish the name was different as well. Would be easier to talk about to others. Just doesn’t make sense to hold onto a name that is hindering OUR businesses as well, not just Bubble’s. Maybe they can start thinking of how it affects us too. It’s harder for us to grow our businesses because of it.

I do think mobile app integration would be HUGE! Can you imagine building complete mobile native apps with a bubble like interface! That would be crazy. As long as the price isn’t ridiculous.

I wish Apple would make Swift and xCode just like bubble.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I’ve always opened saying it’s a powerful low-code platform to build full scale web apps, and then when I get to the name calling it Bubble… it just doesn’t match…

I feel like people and business owners don’t quite give full credibility after hearing the name.

Then again, I don’t think name is everything. Bubble seems to be doing just fine with growth, and this whole new “no-code” movement is only going to explode their growth.

I’m a huge Bubble fan!

Name is not the problem at all (look at Mercedes, MacDonalds, BMW, LG, Apple, Microsoft etc etc etc)

‘Unfortunately’ marketing is everything and the company that doesn’t have a huge presence on social media will die, no matter how good they are.

Social Media + online classes, webinars, tutorials etc

I also think the mobile app direction would be good but I would start with something (in house) more like gonative.io

1 Like

Sure marketing can boost sales, but if the product itself is not good, it will crumble. A good product markets itself through word-of-mouth. I believe Bubble has grown to 250K+ users without much marketing which is pretty impressive.

1 Like

I actually like saying that I’m a Bubbler. Just like everyone now says “Google it” when they really mean to search for something using Google.

3 Likes

Word of mouth is amazing and I see that on my products as well but the only problem is that is hard to measure and you have no control. It’s hard to plan a growth based on word of mouth.

I agree with you that the product has to be good as well. If you boost sales and your product is good, you can make it even better (because you have the cash)

Yep, I think Bubble could definitely take a page out of other website building companies marketing books and try to grow some more. Although I think they like bootstrapping and being agile, which unfortunately mean less resources for new features.

Read Emmanuel’s interview here for some insight into his mind. It’s old but they seem to use the same strategy still.

1 Like

Loved the interview @marcuslate
thanks for sharing!

all of those names are great names :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If you think the name is an issue, take a step back and look at “Python” a name created because the creator of Python language was a big fan of Monty Python’s Flying Circus! If you are too young to know what this is just look it up and you will see how ridiculous the name really is.

3 Likes

i would have to agree the branding is really bad… it is not a bad name for a social media platform… but for app dev it does not instill confidence. I really wish they would drop the entire name and slogans; claiming its so easy to do. If you dont have experience in dev, you will not build a good app even on bubble. You still need to learn the concepts of programming and UX or you will end up with a crap app even on bubble. They need to cater to developers and make their system sound MORE advanced VS just easy to use. I have to keep the platform completely secret from my clients and basically get them to agree to a licencing deal where they have no rights to the app and therefore the tech it is built on. Clients look at bubble and say, if you make it on bubble does that make it cheaper? This is not good for the bottom line. Bubbles quick to market process makes being profitable possible with app dev. And their branding undermines that.

5 Likes

The name is about as much an issue as these were when they first began!

• Apache is a cute name which stuck. It was based on some existing code and a series of, a pun on “A PAtCHy” server".
  • Python as a working title for the project, being in a slightly irreverent mood (and a big fan of Monty Python’s Flying Circus).
  • The language was initially called Oak after an oak tree that stood outside Gosling’s office. Later the project went by the name Green and was finally renamed Java , from Java coffee.
2 Likes

Names are NEVER the problem per se.

I exclude those names that are or sound as negative words in other languages. Specially in very superstitious cultures.

If people have a problem selling a single random word they are just bad sellers and need to go back to sales and marketing 101.

5 Likes

I love Bubble so so so much but the name is just bad. It’s terrible for SEO

2 Likes

tldr ,

1 Like

its not the name… its the name PLUS the way they market their own product that is counter productive to the way it SHOULD be marketed to clients. The platform is freaking amazing but the name and look and marketing from their side is something i have to fight against.

1 Like

This.

And on top of that it has a cheesy name that doesn’t help.

But not the other way around.

Yea but i love bubble none the less… i only say this cause i dream of a day were its called something that is as cool as it is.

1 Like

As if yahoo and google are better names? :wink:

good point… lol