Efactive! New FREE Plugin - Detect if user is online

Amazing, thanks!

@cairngormstudios
Bro, it would be great if you could share a screenshot on how you set that up to check if I did it right.

It’s not detecting when the user goes offline. It shows that the user is online for days.

Hello @sanjuujosephh

Can you explain a bit more what do mean by “offline”. https://bh-showcase.bubbleapps.io/version-test/efactive?debug_mode=true

Hi @AliFarahat,

Any chance this can work in a reusable element? That way we can just stick it in the header for example and it works on every page. It’s very hard to manage at the moment having it on every page. Especially when you need to make changes.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @AliFarahat,

I just tested this again and it works with a reusable element, but it doesn’t always work. It looks like it clashes with other Plugins, just haven’t worked out which ones.

Thanks

Hey @mangooly

Can you share the page URL. I can try to debug it there. You can DM me

Hello @AliFarahat. Great job on the plugin. So your demo page was open, and I was working on another tab, and after some time I reopened the demo tab and this error showed up. Can you please confirm if this is related to being idle for too long?

Update #1: It is happening each time I return to the tab.
Update #2: The “Event efactive…” error started to show up when I made a repeating group for each user in another repeating group.
Update #3: Is it because the timings I am using are too short? But still, another error is showing up in the demo.

Can you give us options when we select Efactive’s Prescen is “idle” or “Active”? Just like when we select Efactive’s is Idle is “yes” or “no”. It would be easier to work with.

I tried the solution you gave to @cairngormstudios but it is not working with me.

Add a field to record when the last update came through. So for example “status_on” that is constantly updated when the user active or idle status is sent. Then a back end workflow that basically says. If the the user status_on + 90 secs is smaller than current date/time then change to status to offline

Can someone help me understand what I’m missing here? In my head, this could go like this:

1. user active, status “online” is stamped
  2. if user stays active for longer than 90 seconds, no change in status is sent, so backend incorrectly marks them as “Offline”

What am I misunderstanding?

I still haven’t figured this one out. I gave up lol

1 Like

Hi @mangooly,

Did you ever get this to reliably work in a reusable element? I would like to drop this into my page header so I don’t need to replicate across all pages. As soon as I add the element, I get a general error in bubble. Looking at the console, it is clear that the plugin is throwing the error (although it is not clear if it is clashing with another plugin).

Thanks!

Hi @ksaitow1,

No, gave up. I’ve really started to use as little plugins as possible.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated!

Ah! Figured it out for anyone interested.

I simply did the following:

1. I made a database “thing” called “user session”. When page is loaded, it creates one

1. Then it sets a custom state on the page I called “current session”

1. Then every 60 seconds, the page checks Efactive’s status. If it’s active, it will add a minute to the user’s “active minutes”. If the user closes the tab, it will obviously stop checking/adding minutes.

Hope this helps someone.

8 Likes

Trying to use the plugin and seeing the same error message when I use it in the header and also on the demo page. @AliFarahat any idea how this could be fixed? Keen not to have to replicate it on every page

I tried this out and it looks like it is deprecated. It actually works well but breaks page widths for full width sites and extends content past the browser. Most likely a bug. Would be great if someone adopted this and updated it. It’s a great feature.

Did you found a workaround ?

@AliFarahat
i see it as deprecated…

Any update ?