Advice on data structure for a new app

Hi,

New to bubble and this is my first post :slightly_smiling_face:

Spent the last few days browsing many topics on the forum, watched the entire Youtube series of Getting started with bubble by Gregory Johns and read almost the entire book from Petter Amlie (How to build fast scalable applications in bubble). Amazing stuff and I am confident bubble is the right tool for me to build my app.

As I’ve seen this be emphasized often here, I would love to kick off my project on a good footing and kindly ask for advice/feedback on structuring my database. The hope is to create a structure now that can support scaling the app as the user base and the app itself grow. Data confidentiality is of utmost importance for this app. I attached my draft of the three most important data types and the relationships that I think are necessary between these data types.

The app is for business/life coaches – who follow a specific coaching methodology - with the objective of simplifying the process of creating assessments and reports based on coaching call transcripts - there will be an AI aspect to this process.

Here are the key elements of how the app will function:

• A coach/user must sign up and be authenticated to access the app.
• Sign up will be available for anyone, however, by default a new user will not be automatically activated upon sign up. (this will change later. At launch, an admin will approve/reject a user sign-up)
• A coach can have multiple clients.
• From their dashboard, a coach can add/edit clients’ data
• A coach can ONLY see their own clients. (very important)
• None of the client data will be visible or accessible from outside an active user session. Not by random visitors to the site where the app is running under, neither by search engines. (very important)
• Clients will not have the ability to login to the app. At least not in the first launch of the app
• The ClientData data type will hold many important details about clients: various recordings/transcripts of coaching calls, various metrics, ad-hoc coach notes, related AI-generated content, reports, etc.

My question is:
How does the attached data types structure look? Does having the “My-Clients” field type in User be linked to the Client data type and having the “Data-Container” field type in Client be linked to the ClientData data type sufficient enough to ensure safe relationships between a coach and her clients, and a client and her client data?

Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated!

You’ll want to set up really good privacy rules to accomplish this and other bullet points.

The structure of the data looks good to me. :white_check_mark:

However you’ve asked if it’s Safe. No. :x:

You need to set up privacy rules to ensure data is not visible when it shouldn’t be. Without privacy rules data will be visible to everyone.

1 Like

@jobs Thank you! Yes, good that you bring up the privacy rules. Definitely will be looking at that and of course testing it in all kinds of use cases before too far into building.

One thing I have learnt and massively regret not doing sooner is making my app responsive. Didn’t think it would need to be. Now I want it to be and it’s an absolute headache trying to get the layout to be responsive as everything is fixed. Good luck building it sounds a great project.
As has already been mentioned privacy rules are vital for this to be secure

1 Like

@seanc07 Thanks for emphasizing this aspect of building the app. That’s the plan.

I saw on another post that someone even recommended to start building on a responsive screen size of 768 or even 320 and scale to large sizes from there; I’ll play with that for a bit and see how that feels/works, given that this will be my first app on bubble. You’ll sure hear more from me on this forum as I am building the app :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Ash08,

You know about Petter’s book bubble performance, so you probably also know about his other book on Bubble security?
That will probably give you a massive amount of help towards keeping your app secure. Unfortunately I’m also too new to add any real value here other than referring to others and posts etc. so I suggest the book “The Ultimate guide to bubble security”.

Also I started a discussion post a few days back about responsive design that might help, there have been some very interesting responses there I’ll drop the link.

It sounds like a nice project you’ll be working on albeit a tough one especially for your first app. Hang in there though the forum is full of help. Good luck