AirTable Plugin - Handle Lists

Hello @sam8

When I save a Bubble’s List of texts into an Airtable’s Multiselect field, I get this :

Is there a workaround ?
If not, do you plan to handle List of Things with the plugin ?

2 Likes

So it creates x rows, rather than 1 row with x multiselects?

How are you saving it ?

Not really.
What I mean id that if you export a list of texts (an array of texts), you’ll get a single line of text in AirTable using the Modify an AirTable Record.

That would be normal if the destination was a a single select field, but in my exemple it is a multiselect filed.

Is it clearer ?

Oh, gotcha. That is annoying.

@sam8 is there a chance this feature get added somday ?

Anything further on this, it’s a bit of a pain. The action has an “add” but even when I run 2 workflows to add two items to the multiple select field in the Base the second call over writes the first.

So currently to my knowledge there is no way to populate a multiple select field in the base with more than one item or infact to add an item if one exists without overwriting the existing

1 Like

I ran into something similar, setup the Airtable plugin to send a list field (as a comma separated list of related object IDs) to an Airtable linked record field, and Airtable would create a single object in that linked table with the full concatenated string as it’s title. I was able to work around that by instead sending the value to an Airtable text field, then triggering an Airtable automation to copy the text field value to the link field (trigger: when text field is not blank; action: write text field value to link field & null to text field). For whatever reason, the latter method causes Airtable to link to each value in the array as expected. :man_shrugging:

I mailed bubble support in the hope they will update the plugin.
I send the link to this post also

I had to implement my own API call to Airtable with the API Connector @design.agx . Such a pity, a lost of time

1 Like

Upsert would be great also… New beta: REST API Upserts - Airtable Community

1 Like

It looks to me like the Multi dropdown element will only work with plaint text fields in Airtable.

While a Multiselect field will display properly in Bubble if multiple items are selected (and the corresponding options are available in your widget), it will always save any edits made in Bubble back as the comma concatenated single string. It will still present this string as separate items in the UI, as it appears to do some internal splitting before display, but will mess up your AT multiselect options and therefore anything else that depends on that structure in AT. But if you can deal with treating that field as plain text in AT, it seems the plugin can work ok due to its internal splitting. Just note that any free text you might type in AT will not present in Bubble if it’s not an existing option in the multidropdown configuration.

Do you have an example of making this API call with details? Maybe a screenshot demoing the setup?

Yeah me too, it was lost of time
In that project, we needed to show real-time information from Airtable and it was so annoying to manage.
Honestly, I wouldn’t recommend using Airtable and Bubble together.