Allow creating multiple domains or child applications from a single master application

My idea is the following:

Allow us to add a child application from a master application. This would be a completely separate development with its own design, workflow and data tabs, but it would be possible to call, reference the parent application (and vice versa). This new child application would have its own separate domain and database.

Or simply just allow Bubble applications to communicate with each other.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious, what would be a good use case for this? I have thought about something similar before with mobile + web, but then realized that an individual page could be dedicated as a native app.

I have several attorney offices, all using the same application, but each office have their own database.

So, my only solution for using Bubble (which I really like and want to use), is to create multiple applications for all these clients, but all be based on one master development.

Now, every one of my clients can have their own domain, and when I add a feature or fix something, all of them will receive this update.

Currently, I would have to copy this same application to all of my 60 (and growing) clients. A very laborious process and very expensive one, since even the $450.00 /month only gives me 15 applications at this point.

My issue is that it is a single application, just requiring separate databases for my clients.

1 Like

I was going to suggest a solution, but each client having a unique domain is a large constraint.

Forget about the domain. What would be your solution @Scott even if they accessed it all through the same portal?

Assuming your solution is not the multi-tenant one (creating a field that separates the data for each office).

I know about that one. :wink:

Based on your hints, you probably already know the multi-tenant solution Iā€™m thinking about. Rather than having a field, how about a new class of Organization where you also have admins and other users tied to a specific organization. Instead of storing the organization on each object that is saved, create a role for admins and other users to only view data made by other admins and other users within their organization.

When: ā€œObjectā€™s Creator isPartOf Org and CurrentUser isPartOf Orgā€ allow them permissions.

If each app needs to have a different database, this is really a different all. You can have a master app you use as a basis to clone, but at the end of the day itā€™s a different app each time.

Pricing wise itā€™s a different question, since beyond 15 app itā€™s indeed an enterprise plan case.

1 Like

That is fine. I have sent you an email requesting more info on the enterprise plan.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to improve the discussion on this idea based on SaaS examples that are very popular - Zendesk, Highrise or even MailChimp use it:

Client (person or business) sign up the app, it then starts a empty DB for it.
The app has a dashboard so you can create or import data - users, clients, projects, email, and manage it.
Usually you get a subdomain for your account (zendesk.com/mycompany) or map a custom domain for it.

The case is that the development of the ā€œmain appā€ is deployed to every client, but the data, branding etc is unique for each one.

One master account for the software dev (1 Bubble app), many other clients (user) ones. The clients donā€™t see each other.

Is it already possible, or am I missing something Bubble already does?

@emmanuel Could you please help me in this?

One ring to rule them allā€¦

Would be interesting to know for how many bubble users this Bubble evolution would bring a lot of value. My business is B2B2C. I sell to sellers a tool their buyers use. If I could get closer of a white label, that would definitely rise more Bubbleā€™s value for me.

1 Like

We can look at adding this, but itā€™s a fairly advanced feature, so we need to know how many users would actually use it. Itā€™s something we probably would put on a Professional or Production plan.

5 Likes

We have time. Bubble is very impressive, and its very young. Future will be awesome.

3 Likes

This is something I am interested in, but at a later date for me.

1 Like

Exactly. While most apps will became mature in some time, it then can open the opportunities to white branding, or such.

Iā€™ll just add my vote here that i think Bubble having an easy way to make a Saas would greatly increase its value. Considering how many people want to build Saas businesses, and how bubbleā€™s positioning itself as a code killer, i think itā€™s a pretty sane ā€œfeatureā€ to implement.

3 Likes

I would agree that the ability to build multi tenant SaaS applications out of the box using Bubble would be awesome and an amazing feature . I am just about to start a new business and part of my strategy is to build a SaaS application with Bubble but from what I can see this isnā€™t currently a possibility. Therefore I am left with the initial situation of building separate Apps for each client and the same problem as @macro101 with his 60 clients.

1 Like

Weā€™ll look into it.

2 Likes

Iā€™d pay an entreprise plan right away for this white-label feature !

1 Like

What do you guys think of this:

1. we add a tab in settings: ā€œchildren applicationsā€ where
    a) you can create sub apps. that copies the app and mark the new app as a child, and the parent app as parent.
    b) you see the children apps in a list in that tab. You can cut the relationship there between parents and children
    c) you can ā€˜pushā€™ to the new app, which overwrites the children app entirely. if the child was modified, changes are lost.

2. in the dashboard bubble.is/home, we just have the app name and add the parent app in parentheses

5 Likes

So, as I understand it, we make the app that we would want a client to use (parent) and then copy that for each client (child). They then have a stand-alone, non editable app, with their own data set. We donā€™t have the hassle of handling Users in the app in the same way any more, trying to ā€œkeep their data separateā€. Any changes have to be made to the parent, and then pushed to the child, so itā€™s always exactly the same app. And each client has their own url (or would that be a subdomain of the app name?) And all this for $19 a month? :yum:

1 Like