API Connector Plug in timing out

I am using the API connector plug in to make a variety of calls to the same provider, but different endpoints.

It appears to be timing out all the time - at first just the images API call was timing out - and now I rarely get any data back at all even if I refresh three or four times.

Are there tips for optimizing these client-side calls to reduce time out? Or a way to increase the timeout length for the API Connector?

Can you explain what you mean ?

Is the Plugin timing out ? How does that manifest itself ?

Or is the API timing out ?

I get an error ETIMEDOUT - so the data that is supposed to populate a text box, or an image, isnā€™t coming back. Sometimes it is only one element, sometimes it is all of the elements.

Here is a URL: https://localmobilefirst.bubbleapps.io/altresults

Here is the console message - the reason I donā€™t know if itā€™s on the API Endpoint side, or on the Bubble side, is the route /doapicallfromserver seems to a proxy for the API connector to make a call to the specified endpoint.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)
xfalse:69 Error evaluating property text of Text C: ETIMEDOUT
https://localmobilefirst.bubbleapps.io/apiservice/doapicallfromserver Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)
xfalse:69 Error evaluating property text of Text C: ETIMEDOUT
https://localmobilefirst.bubbleapps.io/apiservice/doapicallfromserver Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)
xfalse:69 Error evaluating property text of Text B: ETIMEDOUT
xfalse:69 Error evaluating property text of Text B: ETIMEDOUT

Hi @NigelG maybe this will be more helpful. I am using a different API just to be sure it wasnā€™t the endpoint that was the issue. When you load this URL youā€™ll notice the data is coming back if you inspect the page, but for some reason the images arenā€™t displaying.

This is similar with my above case, where it seems like sometimes data times out or doesnā€™t come back. Is there something going on, or am I missing something obvious?

Just a quick note that I may uncovered the issue was on my end - somewhat unsurprisingly. Thanks for the initial response, @NigelG

Great you have sorted it. What was the issue if you donā€™t mind sharing ?

Wellā€¦the issue actually does appear to be making syncronous client side API callsā€¦Bubble times out the request in some cases.

What I doing is following your advice from this thread: Dynamic input API URI segments

I was able to successfully get data back for a whileā€¦but as I made more calls with this structure, especially with images, I started getting the timeout error referenced above quite often.

When I am not required to dynamically insert the ā€˜unit idā€™ in the URI segment, it seems to work, but not if I need to dynamically insert the URI segment.

Any advice? It seems to be an issue with Bubble using Firebase - Firebase doesnā€™t like making multiple client side calls.

Is that Bubble timing out, or are you running into some throttling on the other end ?

I make multiple calls to Google Places and have not yet had issues.

Bit of a worry if scale it up.

@NigelG I spoke with API provider and they said they have heard of others having some timeout issues because they were using ā€œOlder libraries that didnā€™t support SNIā€. Do you know if the Bubble API Integration plug in would have something that may stand in the way of that initial handshake?

is it possible to extend the timeout period in bubble? iā€™m working with an API that is pretty slow. i timed it in Postmanā€“iā€™m getting a response time of 20-30 seconds. bubble often times out before the query is completed. i will work on creating shorter queries to see if that helps, but in the mean time, can i tell bubble to wait longer before timing out?

Yes weā€™ll do that.

2 Likes

thanks @emmanuelā€“

bubble is no longer timing out.

1 Like

I have the same problemā€¦ I have to call a very slow api (40 seconds to get response). is it possible to remove timeout setting related to workflow in my application (infocertdemoportal)?

3 Likes

Hi! please tell me did you solve your problem? I am facing timeout per minute but i sometimes need a little more time for request