API/Database Speeds - Too slow?

I’m building an application where users create projects that have data associated with it.

I have a separate client application, (Javascript) that runs in a user’s browser and gets data from the bubble API (basically it requests the users project by ID). There is no authentication as the data is public.

It is important that the client application gets this data fast and in benchmarking my API speeds I’m wondering if I need to build a separate server on AWS to serve my data. I’m hesitant in doing this of course as I don’t want to two sources of truth for my data, and using bubble only as a front end interface for a foreign data source probably isn’t very convenient.

My question is this: in benchmarking a “get all projects” call, my first call takes 47 seconds and the second 17 seconds. There are fewer than 20 projects.
Getting a single project via ID, takes 1150ms, which also feels incredibly slow.

What are users experience with API speeds? I’m quite surprised at this API speed, but even in using my bubble application it honestly never feels, “snappy”. Is this what is to be expected speed wise for the API? Is perhaps the Database just very inefficient?

2 Likes