Blog type content

Hi guys :wave: I need help with displaying custom blog-like content. :nerd_face:

Just so you have the understanding of what I’m building, here’s a 2 minute video explainer: Career Education :sunglasses:

PROBLEMO / QUESTION: :thinking:

This is an educational platform. User chooses a skill and sees all the exercises he/she needs to master that skill. Under the LEARN tab I want to display study materials: text, images, youtube videos and so on. Learn tab for each lesson needs to be structured differently due to the content material I have gathered. I wonder how to create 1 dynamic page to display non-similar content - like a blog.

Hey @bestbubbledev :wave:

I normally build this sort of thing out in a repeating group structure. I’m sure there are many different ways to do this, this is just one idea.

I put all of the potential data types into a single cell of a repeating group. Then I also attach a ‘type’ to it. Depending on the ‘type’ that is chosen, the element of that ‘type’ is the only one that will display. All the other ‘types’ hide.

Also, make sure the data type has a field for every ‘type’. For example:

Blog Post

• Text
  • Video ID
  • Type (Option Set of Types)
  • Etc.

This allows for a completely custom blog or questionnaire.

Hope that males sense! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

• One-on-One Tutoring
  • eLearning Hub
  • Video Tutorials

Hey thanks for your response! I had that solution as a Plan B. The reason I don’t think that’s the best solution is that I don’t know how many videos I might need. For Lesson X I might include 1 image and 2 videos and for Lesson Y I might need Combination of Texts and Videos 28 of them.

I was suggested to create a Rich Text Editor from the database. Do you have an idea how to do that?

Yes, that makes sense. If you use a repeating group, then you can have an unlimited amount of data. You don’t need to add a field for each 28 items. It would be one data type, 28 times. Hope that makes sense. Then you will just display the whole list in a repeating group style.

I have tried using the Rich Text Editor. When uploading images, it uploads very high quality images. So with just 4 blog posts it slowed down to snail’s pace. I abandoned the idea after running into many different things blocking me with the RTE.

I use this same idea to build surveys, questionnaires, and blogs. :blush:

I guess I don’t understand what you’re suggesting here :thinking:

When user clicks Lesson 1 I must display the following content: Step 1 - Basics
When user clicks Lesson 2 I must display the following content: Step 2 - Shades

Let’s break down what I don’t understand:
Structure of Step 1: Title > Quote > Title > Text > Video > Line > Title > Text …
Structure of Step 2: Title > Quote > Image 1 > Image 2 > Text > Title > Text …

How on Earth can I put these two in a repeating group? :thinking:
If the structure was the same I’d totally understand it.

If you can explain it I’ll buy you a beer :beer: :money_with_wings:

Let me try to set up an example for you to look at. That way it will make more sense. :blush: I will see if I can try to set it up today for you.

That’d be awesome man!

A blog post could be made of several components, an unlimited number.

Each blog post is a RG element. And in each cell of the blog post, you’ll have a “blog element type” RG.

So a blog is a list of blog element, several blog element types possible.

The RG of the blog element will be a succession of UI groups, each group representing a blog element (a text, a quite, an image,…). Each group will be hidden per default, except is the blog element’s blog element type is < the type of the blog element >

I would recommand to have a look at the free Airdev Starter Template. They use the same logic to allow app makers to build their own customized landing page, based on a “library” of blocks. When you build your landing page, you select différents type of blocks, you populate these block with your data (text, image,…) and you can also reorder the blocks.

Very efficient, even if the loading of the page could be slow is you have a high number of blocks with non optimized images.

Have fun :wink:

Hey @Christophe_HK thanks for replying. :star_struck:

I’ve looked into the AirDev template. Are you talking about DataType called Marketing Page? If yes I think it’s just a dynamic page. It allows the admin to create many Landing Pages. However each and every one of them will have the same structure, no? :thinking:

Where’s the blog in that template? :face_with_monocle:

There’s no blog template, what I told you before is about the section in the admin dashboard allowing to build the home page.

I started training Bubble using this template, but an “old” version, I’m not aware of the marketing page…

Hey @stephanie, does the Airdev Starter Template still allow to build the landing page using blocks? @bestbubbledev is looking for a way to build customized blog posts, and the setup in the starter template for the landing page would be a good starting point!

Here you go. Hope this makes it a bit clearer. :+1:

Editor: Test805421 | Bubble Editor

Preview: https://test805421.bubbleapps.io/version-test/blog_creator?debug_mode=true

Preview Blog Post Example: https://test805421.bubbleapps.io/version-test/blog_post/1620847528745x316588971497881600?debug_mode=true

Hope that helps! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

• One-on-One Tutoring
  • eLearning Hub
  • Video Tutorials
3 Likes

Hey that’s exactly what I’m looking for. But I guess I’ll have to add Admin User right? I don’t think I can implement all that logic just from a database.

Beer’s on me mate! :slight_smile: Can you please have the Read Only mode open for a day or two?

1 Like

Probably it’s not there anymore. Thanks anyway. @J805 's solution works perfectly. I just need to wrap my head around it a little bit :slight_smile:

Yeah. That’s correct. Sounds good. Will do.

Glad it helped. :blush:

Awesome! Thanks :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you for this!

1 Like

@drozhatvids No worries. You’re welcome. :blush:

1 Like

Sorry to ask, but how are you able to make all elements in order? Let say, you need to change the position of the image and text, rearrange elements. Thank you!!!

You can use drag and drop or create an order number and then you can sort by that number. I think I use drag and drop in my actual blog. :blush: Does that make sense?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. Thank you !!!

1 Like