Bubble Websites and Accessibility

What is your 101 recco to improve in all accesibility matters?

Adding to this topic, it would be great if it was possible to target any Groupā€™s ā€œfocusedā€ state for styling. In addition to that, it would be great, if it was possible to ā€œclickā€ the focused group with the Spacebar and Enter keys.

This would really help creating custom accessible elements like custom radio select cards.

Hi Emmanuel, Any update on incorporating accessibility features into Bubble? Thank you!

2 Likes

My last reply was flagged as an advertisement. I didnā€™t advertise anything unlike Nick12 above who is obviously only advertising a service. I have nothing to advertise.

I posted 2 youtube videos that explained how every public website regardless of what they do has a LEGAL obligation to be ADA compliant. Compliance isnā€™t 100% clear, but if you donā€™t make an effort to be ADA compliant most lawyers would agree that you will lose a lawsuit because you are discriminating against people with disabilities ā€œON PURPOSE.ā€ That is how the law is being interpreted. Its the same as if you didnā€™t make your building wheelchair accessible. There is 0 difference.

Thatā€™s the law.

I wonā€™t post the youtube videos because apparently they were some sort of advertisement and spam.

ADA compliance is the law. Its not a nice to have its a must have. You are open to being sued if you arenā€™t ADA compliant. Period end of story. Ask a lawyer if you donā€™t believe me. Tons of Real Estate agents in San Francisco and around the US are being targeted right now because they can copy and paste the lawsuit and just change out the name.

They could do the same for businesses using Bubble. Pretty easy since they are all on the same platform.

Small businesses are getting sued and there is no way to fight it if you arenā€™t compliant.

This should have been updated yesterday.

Just saying

Legal disclaimer: this in not legal advice or an advertisement of services. I donā€™t know how to nor can I help anyone with a bubble.io site become ADA compliant. That would require custom code as far as I understand.

Yeah, as the OP of this topic (nearly 4 years ago now), I found your post to be quite eye-opening.

I want my websites to be inclusive, and I know that website accessibility is particularly important for government organizations; but I honestly didnā€™t realize it was illegal for any public website not to be compliant.

What youā€™ve brought to light does align with trends Iā€™m aware of to sue small business owners whose physical location does not comply with ADA guidelines. In such cases, thereā€™s absolutely no warning and no grace period in which to bring the business into compliance. The plaintiff doesnā€™t even have to bring the issue to the merchantā€™s attention. A lawyer simply ā€œteams upā€ with someone with a disability to bring a suit against the merchant; and the merchant either pays the fine or pays another lawyer just as much to fight it.

It happens even in small rural communities - especially if that location is a tourist destination or highly desirable place to live (because thereā€™s $$$ to be extracted from unsuspecting business owners).

Itā€™s quite easy to imagine this trend continuing to expand to lots of online businesses.

I still feel this issue would be best addressed by Bubble at the platform level rather than Bubble devs having to factor in additional time and resources to attempt to bring their Bubble site into compliance via 3rd party ā€œbolt-onā€ solutions (which will likely be fraught with issues and incompatibilities).

Perhaps Bubble should partner with (or even hire) some folks with disabilities to help them navigate this space. In my view, itā€™s as important as https these days.

For those interested in having the resources, here is the guidance along with the web standards:

ADA - Guidance on Web Accessibility and the ADA | ADA.gov

Justice Department Press Release - Justice Department Issues Web Accessibility Guidance Under the Americans with Disabilities Act | OPA | Department of Justice

W3Cā€™s Web Accessibility Initiative - Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) Overview | Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) | W3C

And W3Cā€™s WAI WCAG - WCAG 2 Overview | Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) | W3C

The W3C WAI has a great beginner course on accessibility.

:no_mouth: :thinking: Me as well too ! Are we now in the near future from March of 2019 yet?
itā€™s 4 years ago ā€¦
An attribute for Accessibility woud be great .

With the screen reader, each element says ā€œClicableā€ even if ā€œisnā€™t clickableā€ is on
ā€¦ could be not vocalized ?

2 Likes

Hey @emmanuel! Just curious if this is something you guys will be considering in the near future. As mentioned above in this thread, we are all at risk of getting sued without these capabilities currently.

Not having these abilities is blocking me from getting 3 customers currently in the university space and I would really love to have some clarity on how I should be approaching this roadblock.

1 Like

yes we all would be interested in any response. No response is the worse