Forum Academy Marketplace Showcase Pricing Features

Bubble's Stripe Plugin - Migrate into bubble?

Hi Guys,

I am migrating from another app over to Bubble. I have a very robust Stripe account with hundreds of customers already added there.

These customers have customer IDs already, as well as default payment methods.

I can’t find a way to attach my users in Bubble to their correct Customer ID in Stripe using the Stripe Plugin from bubble.

Using something like stripe.js I would be able to upload the stripe customer ID into my Bubble Database and then access it during checkout…

With the stripe plugin from Bubble, you can’t really access or work with the Customer ID properties of the user… unless I’m missing something.

Any ideas how to proceed here?

Hey @ian11

You can use the Stripe API to achieve this, but given it’s a one-off migration I think there might be easier manual ways. If it was me I would do this:

1. Create a field on my User data type “StripeID” or something like that (if you haven’t already)
  2. Export to CSV my User data type
  3. Export my list of customers in Stripe (which includes the StripeID and email address, name etc)
  4. Use Google Sheets / Excel and use a VLOOKUP formula to merge the data sets together and populate the StripeID field on my Bubble export
  5. Upload that new list into Bubble to modify all of my existing records

Voila!

FYI - I have built a small tool that allows you to easily pull in your Stripe records into Google Sheets - so it’s quite useful if you want up-to-date Stripe info in a Google Sheet on an ongoing basis. Although, it’s probably not a huge benefit in this case, given you’ll only need to do that export once. But here’s the link if it’s useful to you…

Josh @ Support Dept
Helping no-code founders get unstuck fast :rocket:save hours, & ship faster with an expert :man_technologist: on-demand

I post daily about no-code and Bubble on Twitter Follow Support Dept on Twitter

Hey Josh!

Thanks for the helpful suggestion .

The problem is that the Bubble Stripe Plugin only uses the Stripe Customer ID field that it creates - and that field is not editable in any way that I can tell.

If I add the stripe ID’s to a field I create, the plugin won’t be able to use it. :frowning:

I think you’re right - that’s weird! I always use Stripe through the API connector directly to avoid these exact situations. Which I know might seem daunting if you’re not so familiar with APIs / the API connector.

I remember someone did a video series and put it on YouTube recently talking through all the common steps to get Stripe to work with the API connector - might be worth doing a search on the forum and tracking that down.

IMO there isn’t one Stripe plugin that does everything well and in an easy-to-understand way. You seem to hit a brick wall at some point, and as a result most apps I pick up seem to have 2-3 separate plugins just to use Stripe. It’s madness.

Josh @ Support Dept
Helping no-code founders get unstuck fast :rocket:save hours, & ship faster with an expert :man_technologist: on-demand

I post daily about no-code and Bubble on Twitter Follow Support Dept on Twitter

1 Like

Hey Ian11,

As @josh24 suggested, Stripe API is a way to move forward and merge the user with the Customer ID.

Here is the video I have prepared on How you can connect Stripe API with the Bubble without using any plugin.

Happy to help you further if you got any question.

1 Like

Thanks guys - I decided to just keep using the Copilot stripe.js plugin. This way I can easily access the stripe customer ID

1 Like