Choices source and default value from different data source query

Hi Everyone,

I’m having trouble with displaying a default value in a dropdown box. Basically I have 2 data types, 1 is a projects table (this has town/county etc) and a data table with a list of counties.

I have set the choices source of the dropdown to the counties data type because I only want the user to be able to choose a county from this table, but I want the default value to be the ‘already set’ value from the projects table. I guess it’s not working because I’m trying to use a different data type from the specified choices source but I can’t figure out a way to get it to work. I’ve got a screenshot below for what I’m trying but I can provide more details if necessary. I know I can use an option set for this but that’s not an option as I want the user to be able to add/edit the counties data type when necessary and I don’t believe the user can edit an option set from the front end unless I’m mistaken?

In the default value I’m basically trying various ‘Do a search’ for the projects data type. I may be missing something really simple here but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

You just need to set the Default Value to the Project’s County.

Have you tried that?

I have tried this, it wont let me set anything from the project data set though which is the problem presumably because the ‘Type of choices’ is set to counties. I can set the placeholder to the Project’s County but this is just visual and so the dropdown is technically blank until a value is then selected

it wont let me set anything from the project data set though which is the problem presumably because the ‘Type of choices’ is set to counties.

Surely the County field on the Project datatype is of type County?

In any case, if there’s an issue with a mismatch of datatypes, it will tell you exactly what the issue is… so what does the issue checker say?

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.