Compare Bubble with Webflow, Wix, Squarespace and Instapage

Not sure a valid comparison can be made to Wix, as it is quite decidedly not a “no code” development tool. BTW, it’s out of beta and available to use - even with their free plan (at least for the time being). It does require knowledge of JavaScript though.

-Steve

Is it fair to compare Bubble with CMS like Joomla and Drupal ? In what cases is Bubble better and not better than these CMS ?

Bubble is an authoring system for MVC-style web apps. It is decidedly low-code. (For most normal humans and applications, it’s no-code.)

It’s also an ideal(ish) hub component for a modern microservices-driven web app. Bubble’s own marketing and positioning isn’t “wrong” per se, but it’s so much more than “build (web) apps without code.”

Authoring is programming, make no mistake. But its metaphor is drag and drop programming with implicit code generation. Basically, you can build nodejs apps without all the bs that would go with doing that from scratch. It’s unique and special and (dare I say it) undersells itself as solution for noobs to make a thing.

It does that, but along the way said noobs will either become skilled computer science types or fail miserably. “Why not just skip all that?” is my question.

Anyway, it’s not a CMS. It’s the most sophisticated drag and drop authoring environment since mTropolis. (But it lacks some of the best features from that tool. This can sort of be forgiven as the prior art for such tools is not readily available except in the heads of people like me.)

Anyway, you can go Drupal your Joomla all day and you won’t be able to create anything like what you can do with Bubble in an hour or so… (if you understand what Bubble does.)

1 Like

Has a study been done to test loading speed, SEO, and other basic performance parameters etc?

There so no point in that. These are all different things with different applications.

1 Like

I really think bubble could learn a lot from Wix Editor X. Yes, Wix is far more restrictive and in many ways doesn’t really lend itself to adaption much at all, but it comes with a lot of stuff right out of the box:

• menu and member profile systems
  • groups and group discussions
  • built in problem tracking (Workflow IT)
  • the responsive thing is much better
    and all of this is free btw. no paying for templates.
    Bubble’s real problem is you have to build every bloody thing from the ground up and its a pain in the arse. It ends up being nocode but every bit as tedious and fiddly as if you had built with code.

Great ideas. :+1: I feel like Bubble needs to natively have something like this: https://www.openbuild.io/

It’s a really good concept. If Bubble could allow people to build and sell “blocks” I think that would be huge. Then we could drag and drop well designed and responsive blocks into our apps. Would greatly improve that headache.

@bubble could we have a Block’s store? Not in templates, but where we have the UI elements. A separate store, just for building blocks. Just an idea, it would be as life-changing as when the template store was announced a couple years ago. Maybe take less of the profit from it too, so we can charge less for them. :blush:

2 Likes

I suppose you could compare Bubble to Wappler 3.0 but then I suppose you’d lose your clientele

I would question your learning period, you have custom code, connection to API’s etc in the tick list and it suggests you can learn them in 3 hours on Bubble.

It’s more like 3-months

Simon

Wappler is an excellent platform :rocket:, but for experienced users. It will take more time to get the required skills compared to Bubble.

2 Likes