Forum Documentation Showcase Pricing Learn more

Concatenate values in DB

Hi forum,

I need some help with something I think should be possible. I just don’t know how.

In a database I have a column for country and one for city. I want to concatenate these in a third column, so I get a string called “City, country”. This concatenated column I want to use to pull in latitude and longitude via api.

(Or maybe an address field is better?)

Anyway, I still need to concatenate. Can I do that?

Thanks

If these are all simple text strings, you can set up a joined string easily. This illustration may help you out:

So you basically just make changes to a Thing, and put a comma and space in between the two dynamic values.

2 Likes

You can do what @petter showed you in an API Workflow as well to run a bulk edit on all your records. Set up an API Endpoint with a parameter for the data type you’re editing and go to Data > App Data > select your data type and then click on Bulk to run the API Workflow on that list of records.

2 Likes

You received 2 great responses, but just to consider things from a slightly different angle… Does your use case preclude the possibility of performing the concatenation at the time you “pull in” the lat/lon? Generally speaking, it’s “better” to avoid data redundancy by keeping the DB as “normalized” as possible (or practical).

1 Like

I think this is my way forward here. I’m sure there is a useful video-tutorial on youtube somewhere for ‘setting up an API endpoint’. :wink:

Thanks for the great answers, all