[confirmed]Bug with :random or doing it wrong

Hi, I cant reproduce your manual one for some reason. It’s driving me crazy…

I’m having the same issue as @t.w.gant ; maybe our Bubble version is different ?

I gave up on this eventually - the randomization only occurs on a page refresh it seems

But it works perfectly on @DaveA 's Demo! Maddening :face_with_thermometer: :dizzy_face: :exploding_head:

Have you looked at the editor view of my demo to see if it’s the same/how it’s built?

Yes of course :slight_smile: I stared at yours vs mine for an hour, but nothing weird to be found :frowning:

So Bubble Support finally fixed this :muscle:

let’s play with random generators now!

Hi friends, so I know that this said it’s resolved, but I’m having the exact same trouble.

Random seems to work on option sets i.e. Pulling up a random thing from my option set

And picking a random element from my database seems to be working, but pulling a random element from a list of things inside a record doesn’t work.

I can show the first item, the last item, and I can even the whole list of items, but trying to get a random item from that list just shows the same thing over and over again.

I’ve tried pulling sorting my search in a random order but that doesn’t seem to work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think the “real issue” behind this problem reported by all the other users here is the refresh mechanism of repeating groups in bubble.
You can sort however you want, but if the RG does not refresh (meaning sorting again randomly), the same random sorting from the previous run will be applied.
So how do you force a refresh of the repeating group, forcing the RG to randomize on each run?
You set a date (state) as a constraint in the repeating group, introduce a date attribute in your RG and set the date state to current date/time if you want to refresh.
Actually I need to admit, that this works great for refreshing RGs if you have manipulated/added/deleted data but for randomizing I could not get it work with this strategy (just trying for the last 5 minutes)

exactly, because a refresh forces the RG to perform a randomized search again.

If one does not force the RG to update, you can configure anything - won’t work.