Creating a new data type that links back to an existing data type

Hi All,

Can anyone provide guidance on the best way to create a new data type and link back to another data type?

For example, I have users with their social profile links within the User data type.

e.g. I have 1000 users with their data type User:

Data Type: User
Fields: Email, Password, Instagram Link, Facebook Link, Twitter Link.

I want to create a new data type called Social Links and move that data to that data type:

Data Type: Social Links
Fields: Instagram Link, Facebook Link, Twitter Link.

How would I then reconnect the Social Links data type back to the User data type to align with that user?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Hi there, @jdeleon1… if I understand your post correctly, I would likely create a field on the User data type called something like social profile, and that field would have a field type of the Social Links data type. Then, during the process of moving a user’s links over to the new data type, set a user’s social profile field to the user’s newly-created thing in the Social Links data type, and you should be good to go. Oh, you might also want to consider having a field of type User on the Social Links data type so you can link the user that way, too, because the Created by field on the things you are backfilling in the Social Links data type will not show the users to whom the things are associated.

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Thanks for this Mike, let me give this a try.

1 Like