Creating a thing's thing using bulk CSV Upload?

Hey Bubblers,

For context, here’s what my data type looks like:

Type: Product
Fields:

• Product Name
  • Price
  • Description
  • Variations

Type: Variation
Fields:

• Variation Name
  • Price

I was wondering if we could create a new product’s variation during bulk CSV Upload?

I know we can create a new thing during CSV upload but what if one the fields in my data type is a different data type? How should we add that using CSV? My assumption is that we could use a bottoms up approach and first upload variations and then upload a product later. If that’s the case, how do we relate these data types together?

I can’t seem to do it if I just simply create a variation in the CSV since I don’t know how to relate or connect it to which product it belongs.

Currently, I think I should upload a variation CSV first and then later upload a product CSV. The question is, how do I then relate these two?

Been stuck in this for quite a while now. I would greatly appreciate any help and would be more than happy to buy you coffee :smiley: :coffee:

I think you should go with the plan of uploading a CSV creating Variation Types and then uploading all Product types. Once you start to upload the product type it will ask you what each column’s type should be so on the Product CSV upload you will be able to select Variation.

I see. Will that automatically connect the two data types together? Do I have to do something to relate or at least make sure each variation is connecting to the right product and vice versa?

I feel like that’s the best way to do it but I think I’m missing something.

Appreciate the reply @williamtisdale

I haven’t done CSV upload in a while but we have a field on customer called icon and it is associated with an option set called Icon. When we uploaded the csv we were able to match the csv column with the text that associated with the Display of the Icon to assign each customer the correct icon. So I am sure it would connect if the variations was an option set. It may be different with two data types though.

I see. I’ll try to look into this further. Thanks again, William!

Will notify you if I found a solution