Database storage and migration

Hi Bubblers,

I would like to ask regarding the database storage and migration. I am planning to do the MVP and perhaps using Bubble for the first year or longer or even permanently for the new app (for the upcoming startup). The new app most likely consist of many photos, videos and etc, uploaded by the users. Therefore, the amount of storage is huge.
However, there are some issues appear in my mind. The main issues are as follows:

1. Since the amount of storage requires is so huge, can I actually store all these databases, photos, files and etc outside of Bubble?

2. If after a year, I want to migrate out of Bubble to host elsewhere, can I migrate all those databases including photos, videos, files and etc? Rather than just the CSV files.

These issues are extremely important for me to make my decision.

Thank you so much.

The short answer is yes…

Remember, your database and your file storage are two completely different things…

You can store your files anywhere you like (either in Bubble’s own file storage, or any other online storage solution) - you don’t store images and files in your database, they’re stored in your file storage.

As for you database, if you Use the standard bubble database then yes, you can export that data anytime you like as a CSV file (I’m not sure what other format you would want it in?..)

You can also access it all through the data API - so you can move data to another platform that way.

But you can also use any external database you like (if you don’t want to use Bubble’s own database for your app)

1 Like

Thanks Adam for the information.

That’s great.
However, will loading time and etc be increased if we were to store all those files elsewhere such as at AWS and etc?
Is it possible that we use 2 platforms together and share all the databases, login, files and etc?

In other words, I can export anytime and store elsewhere right?

That’s fabulous actually. However, the speed to access those files by the users maybe much slower.

Example, if the app like Instagram or Tiktok, with many photos or videos. All those photos, can be store elsewhere. However, when the users view those photos, will it be much slower?
Thanks.

There’s no reason it should do (in fact Bubble file storage is just AWS anyway).

That’s fabulous actually. However, the speed to access those files by the users maybe much slower.

Why should that be the case? all you’re doing is pointing to a stored file - it shouldn’t matter where that file is stored (within reason).

However, when the users view those photos, will it be much slower?

No, not as far as I’m aware (in fact in some cases it might even be faster).

1 Like

Dear Adam,

That’s fantastic.

I guess I may need to ask you how to link those files to other hosting platform and etc when the time comes.
Only thing as far as I know is that those users’ password gotta change or reset when the migration occur.
However, if all those files, photos and videos can be stored elsewhere, I don’t see any good reason for migrating.

Thank you so much Adam.