Don't know where to start with Task Templates

Hey there,

I am trying to implement a task template and email template feature within my SaaS application and I’m not sure where to even start. I am hoping some one can help get me started. My application is build for 1 user and not a team based application.

If you’re wondering what a task template is let me explain. Instead of creating a new set of tasks one by one. a task template is a series of tasks that you can add to a transaction in one go. Without needing to add tasks one by one.

If you need more details of the application please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi jake… I think I understand how to get the Task template done. It’s pretty easy to implement. Can you please confirm if the task templates will be shared amongst users/companies/entities, or do they belong to the creator only? :slight_smile:

Assuming that each user has access to his own created Task templates:

• We would need 2 new Data types called “Task Template”, and “Task Template Set”. “Task Template” will have the same fields as the “Task” datatype.

• User will create Task templates, and link them to the Task Template Set. (Task Template Set will have a field , called Templates or whatever we like, and it will be a List of Task Templates).

• When a transaction is executed, using the workflows we would iterate through the Templates list of the “task template Set”, and for each iteration create a new task using the data from that task template. The tasks, in this case, will need to have a field “Transaction”, linking back to the transaction data type, in order to track tasks for any given transaction.

I hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask if you have any questions :slight_smile:

For Email Templates, I found this thread that seems to solve this:

:grinning:

They could be shared with team members. If a team manner was invited in a transaction. You can think of a “transaction” as a project in a typical project management application.

Great. You can use an additional field called “company” or “SaasAccount” in the task template set to link back to the company/SaasAccount that the task templates belong to. This way only the team members will be able to access the template set.

Restricting the access for the newly created tasks using Task Templates to the assignees of the Transaction:
This has to be implemented on the Transaction/Task level, and doesn’t have much to do with the templating thing itself.

1. Transaction data type has to have a List field (Assignees).
  2. Tasks need to have a “Transaction” field linking back to the transaction data type.

P.S: In order to iterate through the list to create new task from each task template in the “Task Template Set” list, you can use API Scheduled workflow. The BDK plugin may do the job as well, as per the following thread, however I haven’t used it so can’t say for sure.

Hi @jakeyeaton … Just wanted to know how it worked out for you :slight_smile:

Oh yes sorry for the late reply! I broke my app today so I need to fix it first. Then I will be trying to implement what you said above. Thank you so much by the way.

No problem. I am building a Task management app and will implement these to test them out. I will share how things turns out :slight_smile:

1 Like

This makes sense. Thank you for this explanation. I am going to try to implement this today. So I will give you an update later today. Give me your updates if any.

1 Like

Okay I completed the first two steps but now I am a bit lost.

" * When a transaction is executed, using the workflows we would iterate through the Templates list of the “task template Set”, and for each iteration create a new task using the data from that task template. The tasks, in this case, will need to have a field “Transaction”, linking back to the transaction data type, in order to track tasks for any given transaction."

This part doesn’t make a ton of sense to me could you explain in more detail for me?

Also, I am running into a roadblock when trying to get my form setup to create a new template. The issue is that on my application you can create a new transaction (think of transactions as projects) and within each transaction a user can create a new task and add team members.

When creating a new task one required field is the “Assigned To” field which the structure of that is shown below:

Hi @jakeyeaton Just reading through all this thread. Have you thought about exporting this all to a productivity tool? I’m currently running a beta on a ClickUp Bubble integration where you can program alot of what you’re trying to achieve directly into your ClickUp. Might save you some time.